Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eden Project pillows

I expect a number of us have seen the domes of the Eden project, they are
geodetic tubular domes with the in fill being inflated transparent plastic
pillows. The plastic is a transparent ETFE, similar to fluon non stick
stuff.

I don't know how available this is but it strikes me the see through panes
used by wind surfers for sails might suit my purpose which is to provide a
temporay transparent insulating roof for a small quadrangle in the middle
of my daughter's flat. Its only 2.4m by 2m but as there are glass patio
type windows on three sides, adjacent to living space, in winter it loses a
lot of heat.

So I'm just considering the possibility of making this 2 by 2.4 pillow,
anchoring it at each corner and inflating it in situ, It will still let
rain past but should create a greenhouse of relatively still air in the
quadrangle.

But where to buy suitably strong plastic, being on the coast there may be a
gull problem?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"andrew" wrote in message
[...]

What are you going on about! It is often best to get straight to the point
and just ask. I have no idea how a windsurfer connects to the eden project!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
"andrew" wrote in message
[...]

But then you have no idea about most things.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:53:49 +0100, andrew wrote:
But where to buy suitably strong plastic, being on the coast there may be a
gull problem?

Local DIY shed here sells clear thick vinyl sheets for insulating purposes
- the rolls are 4'x25'. I'm not sure what type of glue would work best to
fasten them together though.

Not sure if gulls would be an issue - will they really perch on a
surface that looks to be transparent? Sure, I've seen them on things like
greenhouse frames, but never on the glass itself.

I also suspect that the sheets aren't truly waterproof over time - I'm not
sure how the Eden folks handle this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:

Not sure if gulls would be an issue - will they really perch on a
surface that looks to be transparent? Sure, I've seen them on things like
greenhouse frames, but never on the glass itself.

Eden project mentions trouble from gulls pecking holes.

In the meanwhile I've found someone who makes windsurfer sails nearby so I
shall ask him about the clear stuff.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message

"andrew" wrote in message
[...]

contextual stuff started me thinking... I see clear plastic pillows used as
box-fill packaging so maybe someone selling protective big bubble wrap would
know a little more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ETFE is used to reduce glare inside, PTFE has also been used to reduce
both glare & shadows.

If you can take a photo people can advise better, the contextual info
is a bit lacking :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/09 21:37, js.b1 wrote:

ETFE is used to reduce glare inside, PTFE has also been used to reduce
both glare& shadows.

Don't know about Eden dome, but where ETFE is used for stadium roofing
there is fibre glass incorporated within the ETFE to diffuse the light,
perhaps for strength too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:

In the meanwhile I've found someone who makes windsurfer sails nearby so I
shall ask him about the clear stuff.

It's mylar. Looking for which gives me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PET_fil...ially_oriented)

(but everyone still calls it mylar!)

Andy

eden pure [email protected] Home Repair 8 December 28th 08 04:46 PM
Tapestries and Pillows Arkady Home Repair 0 June 13th 07 12:42 AM
Washing pillows John UK diy 5 March 26th 06 03:40 AM
Pillows! [email protected] Home Repair 23 October 18th 05 11:29 AM
Dirty pillows? [email protected] Home Ownership 2 October 17th 05 06:47 PM