Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Points changer finished

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 15:52:54 -0700, Matty F wrote:
Here's the first points changer that I made, after a few months use.

I suspect the weak spot might actually end up being the guide plate which
the plunger sits in - there must be a bit of sideways force on the plunger
every time it operates, and eventually it'll wear through or start to
stick.

(for version 2, or 3, I suppose you could have some sort of bearing either
side of the plunger at the mouth of the guide to better take the sideways
load - but maybe that's 20 years down the road or whatnot when the current
design does finally wear out ;-)

He will have bought a 3D printer by then and be making the stuff out of
printed ceramics and nanotubes.
The angle grinder will be screwed to the lounge wall as a reminder of the
good old days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home
wibbled on Friday 02 October 2009 13:59

"Jules" wrote in message
[...]

If I ever built a house from scratch (ha) I'd want one of those clay robot
jigs (aka "A robot shat my house").

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 15:07:30 -0700, Matty F wrote:

On Oct 2, 8:41 am, Jules
wrote:

Now you've got me trying to remember the name of the NZ guy a few years
ago who was buying up odds and ends to make his own cruise missile...
wasn't you, was it? :-) I think he got pretty far before the gov't leaned
on him...

That would be Bruce Simpson. He's gone further ahead than I ever would
You have to see this jet powered plane he's flying!
http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/

That's the chap! One of those people who it would have been fun to meet
when I was living over there.

Yeah, there are. I used to bump into a few folk over there into that
kind of thing, and lots of ex-railways staff - all with all sorts of
interesting tales to tell! :-) Seemed to be a lot more people into
trolleybuses than trams, though.

Yes I'm interested in trolleybuses too. Hopefully we should get some
overhead up to run them. It's tricky running them off tram overhead, but
it can be done!

I remember an expedition to the museum at Foxton (at the time I was
scouring the land for bits of old electrical switchgear to populate a
1940's switchboard in a wartime generating room) and they've got some nice
stuff there. IIRC they'd run lines out on the public roads, which is
probably something that no other country would allow a museum to do :-)

Oh, the amount of 'heritage' engineering stuff still kicking around in
NZ was staggering - in some cases sitting in piles at museums, in others
in peoples' back gardens and sheds, and sometimes even still in-situ in
abandoned factories and workshops. Never seemed to be any money to *do*
anything with it, but it's all still there with potential at least (unlike
just about any other country I've been to, where it's all gone to the
scrapper years ago)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:33:08 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
If you are feeling sick, the toilet is on the other side of the
bathroom!
http://i33.tinypic.com/282l73q.jpg

Just need to replace the shower outlet with a larger bore (and perhaps
add a small waste disposal unit)

Large-bore drain in the middle of the room and a waste pump - after all,
who knows where that stuff's going to go? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:56:47 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

I have not done any tiling yet so I need to learn. I can cut tiles with
my angle grinder and a diamond blade, right?

You can but I suspect a better job can be done with one of the
diamond bladed tile table saws.

I have about a ton of tile offcuts from the job next door. The
professional tilers couldn't seem to put the tiles on straight:

http://i36.tinypic.com/64nncy.jpg

Interesting idea but it makes me feel sick! Fancy using that after a
"good night out". B-)

It did me after my lunch time pint and a half :-(

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 08:05:54 -0500, Jules wrote:

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:33:08 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
If you are feeling sick, the toilet is on the other side of the
bathroom!
http://i33.tinypic.com/282l73q.jpg

Just need to replace the shower outlet with a larger bore (and perhaps
add a small waste disposal unit)

Large-bore drain in the middle of the room and a waste pump - after all,
who knows where that stuff's going to go? :-)

Visions of adapting lorry windscreen wiper systems for the walls...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mit Mit is offline

Matty F wrote:
On Oct 2, 8:41 am, Jules
wrote:

Now you've got me trying to remember the name of the NZ guy a few
years ago who was buying up odds and ends to make his own cruise
missile... wasn't you, was it? :-) I think he got pretty far before
the gov't leaned on him...

That would be Bruce Simpson. He's gone further ahead than I ever would
You have to see this jet powered plane he's flying!
http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/

Speaking of jets, this was posted over in uk.rec.motorcycles today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTeevHnWmNQ

Combines danger and fun very nicely. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On Oct 2, 6:59 am, Tim W wrote:
The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Thursday 01 October 2009 19:55

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Matty F wrote:
I've been making devices to keep tram rail points to one side or the
other by means of a spring.
Here's the finished points changer:
http://i38.tinypic.com/8yf4ld.jpg
Another fine piece of work.
A new Superhero is born - Angle Grinder Man!

I too am deeply impressed. No silly tile trim wibblings or questions about
wiring 3 way lights. Nope - go for something proper and heavy duty like a
DIY points spring bias doobrey.

I vote Matty for the 2009 DIY'er's award

Thanks! I have not done any tiling yet so I need to learn. I can cut
tiles with my angle grinder and a diamond blade, right?
I have about a ton of tile offcuts from the job next door. The
professional tilers couldn't seem to put the tiles on straight:

http://i36.tinypic.com/64nncy.jpg

It took a while of looking at that to actually work out what is going
on. At first it looked like the far wall was sloping toward you at the
bottom!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:17:38 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

http://i33.tinypic.com/282l73q.jpg

They go to all that trouble to make it funky, but can't either bury the
waste pipe in the wall or fit a pedestal to hide it?

Agreed but it's "designer" stuff, practicalities like the required
plumbing don't enter in the red rimed glasses, pointy hair, brigades
tiny little minds.

Yes maybe the waste could have been taken back into the wall but
you'd still see the trap hanging down. Which I can't see a real
reason for either. The bowl of the basin isn't a deep as that would
infer is it? ie about 18". Messy, full stop. I wonder how long the
waste will last before it gets a hard enough whack from a
foot/mop/WHY to fracture it?

A chrome bottle trap would look sooooo much better - the side exit of
the pipe would let you lose that as well!

(still perhaps there is a pedestal to come we have not seen yet!)

--
Cheers,

John.

OT - Points to Ponder Gus Metalworking 0 March 14th 06 07:02 AM
OT - Points to Ponder Ken Metalworking 1 March 13th 06 09:29 PM
New shop open, my first workbench is finished, just not finished... JC Woodworking 8 May 31st 05 02:02 AM
TV points in two rooms Paul the D UK diy 3 October 30th 03 09:55 PM