Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bouncing Makita

Working on a ladder today using my 14.4v Mak combi with a 3 a/hr NiMh
battery (which makes it 'kin heavy).

Went to put it into holster thingy on tool belt, didn't get it right & it
plummeted 14' straight down onto a solid concrete floor.

"Oh botheration" I said to myself. Went down the ladder with a sickening
feeling around the wallet area.

Total damage? One small chip on the plastic casing. Drill works 100%
perfectly.

Couldn't believe my luck. Worth buying good gear.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had exactly the same experience with my bosch impact driver. Fell
about 4.5 meters onto masonry. I actually didn't both to get down off
the scaffold right then to look at it, but started thinking about when
I would have time to get out an buy another one.

It was untouched.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:03:36 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Went to put it into holster thingy on tool belt, didn't get it right &
it plummeted 14' straight down onto a solid concrete floor.

Just as well there was no one underneath it, or some prized possesion
of the owners...

Not thought of having a leash attached to such tools when working at
heights?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Working on a ladder today using my 14.4v Mak combi with a 3 a/hr NiMh
battery (which makes it 'kin heavy).

Went to put it into holster thingy on tool belt, didn't get it right
& it plummeted 14' straight down onto a solid concrete floor.

"Oh botheration" I said to myself. Went down the ladder with a
sickening feeling around the wallet area.

Total damage? One small chip on the plastic casing. Drill works 100%
perfectly.

Couldn't believe my luck. Worth buying good gear.

To the tune of Waltzing Matilda....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:03:36 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Went to put it into holster thingy on tool belt, didn't get it right
& it plummeted 14' straight down onto a solid concrete floor.

Just as well there was no one underneath it, or some prized possesion
of the owners...

Not thought of having a leash attached to such tools when working at
heights?

TBH its the first time its ever happened - which doesn't mean its the last
obviously. Repercussions are far beyond tool damage as you say.

Might invest in one of these
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-E...rds-462988.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Polycarbonate bounces - until it shatters, that said you were lucky
not to lose a battery finger-tab.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Working on a ladder today using my 14.4v Mak combi with a 3 a/hr NiMh
battery (which makes it 'kin heavy).

Went to put it into holster thingy on tool belt, didn't get it right
& it plummeted 14' straight down onto a solid concrete floor.

"Oh botheration" I said to myself. Went down the ladder with a
sickening feeling around the wallet area.

Total damage? One small chip on the plastic casing. Drill works
100% perfectly.

Couldn't believe my luck. Worth buying good gear.

To the tune of Waltzing Matilda....

Indeed it was - Bouncing Makita, bouncing Makita

Well spotted that man :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:
Polycarbonate bounces - until it shatters, that said you were lucky
not to lose a battery finger-tab.

Too right. I was a happy bunny when I found it had survived.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just as well there was no one underneath it, or some prized possesion
of the owners...

Not thought of having a leash attached to such tools when working at
heights?

I use a lanyard when there's a particular increased risk of dropping a
tool - but you simply cannot do this for every tool, brick and drill
bit.

Tidy working conditions - good. Toolbags/buckets - good. Toeboards if
it's a proper scaffold - good.

But unless you're going to work like NASA, at a snail's pace and with
every movement pre-planned - drops will happen.

Oh but - even they've dropped toolboxes and wrenches off into space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 03:49:50 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Might invest in one of these

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-E...rds-462988.htm

The problem with that is it does not let you get your arm free of the
tool. Something like the beefier version:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

That latter is what I was thinking of rather than something to slip
around you wrist. Attached to the holster or belt, not through a
belt loop as in the Axminster picture. I suspect a dropped drill
would just rip the belt loop off the trousers...

I wonder how bungee the bungee is? You don't want a dropped tool to
bounce around but conversely a dead line could transfer rather too
much shock to you.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 03:49:50 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Might invest in one of these

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-E...rds-462988.htm

The problem with that is it does not let you get your arm free of the
tool. Something like the beefier version:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

That latter is what I was thinking of rather than something to slip
around you wrist. Attached to the holster or belt, not through a
belt loop as in the Axminster picture. I suspect a dropped drill
would just rip the belt loop off the trousers...

Prolly would. I wear Bib & Brace type overalls, so belt loop won't work.

I wonder how bungee the bungee is? You don't want a dropped tool to
bounce around but conversely a dead line could transfer rather too
much shock to you.

Total load is only 5kg, decent combi would weigh at least half that. SDS
could well be over.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:03:36 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Went to put it into holster thingy on tool belt, didn't get it right
& it plummeted 14' straight down onto a solid concrete floor.
Just as well there was no one underneath it, or some prized possesion
of the owners...

Not thought of having a leash attached to such tools when working at
heights?

TBH its the first time its ever happened - which doesn't mean its the
last obviously. Repercussions are far beyond tool damage as you say.

Might invest in one of these
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-E...rds-462988.htm

The problem with that is it does not let you get your arm free of the
tool. Something like the beefier version:

That might save the tool but there should never have been an issue with
hitting someone as he should have ensured nobody can enter the danger area.
Maybe he needs to buy a roll of "danger keep out" tape too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman"
wrote in message
om...
Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Working on a ladder today using my 14.4v Mak combi
with a 3 a/hr NiMh
battery (which makes it 'kin heavy).
Couldn't believe my luck. Worth buying good gear.

snip
To the tune of Waltzing Matilda....

Indeed it was - Bouncing Makita, bouncing Makita

Well spotted that man :-)

OT but same maker. I have the Makita 710W HP1631. I
drilled about a dozen 13mm holes in concrete block this
pm. The drill was cold by 'tidy-up' time, but I
couldn't get the bit out of the chuck. I don't want to
use a monkey-wrench or vice as the chuck case seems to
be rubber or plastic covered. The drill's about 4
months old - any ideas? TIA.

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:
"The Medway Handyman"
wrote in message
om...
Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Working on a ladder today using my 14.4v Mak combi
with a 3 a/hr NiMh
battery (which makes it 'kin heavy).
Couldn't believe my luck. Worth buying good gear.

snip
To the tune of Waltzing Matilda....

Indeed it was - Bouncing Makita, bouncing Makita

Well spotted that man :-)

OT but same maker. I have the Makita 710W HP1631. I
drilled about a dozen 13mm holes in concrete block this
pm. The drill was cold by 'tidy-up' time, but I
couldn't get the bit out of the chuck. I don't want to
use a monkey-wrench or vice as the chuck case seems to
be rubber or plastic covered. The drill's about 4
months old - any ideas? TIA.

Sometimes a sharp 'tap' sorts it out, or (on some machines) you can use the
side handle to grip the chuck & reverse the machine.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Bertie Doe wrote:
"The Medway Handyman"
wrote in message
om...
Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave, i need to take out another section of the
concrete block. It's bound to get hot again, so it'll
probably drop out tomorrow.

..

Bouncing joist [email protected] UK diy 4 March 31st 07 08:27 AM
"Bouncing" water level in toilets/urinals Elliott Plack Home Ownership 5 October 12th 06 01:29 AM
Bouncing boys-Stiffen/silence upper floor? Mitch Skool Home Repair 10 July 11th 04 01:10 PM
"Bouncing" Floors Chris Davies UK diy 2 July 10th 04 03:36 PM
Beany's Bouncing Bean Bags. MissJuggs UK diy 5 January 18th 04 02:30 PM