Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What type of valve to balance 1-pipe CH circuit?

I have a mixed 1-pipe and 2-pipe central heating system. The 2-pipe
circuit feeds 2 radiators added by a previous owner. It has been
difficult to balance as the 1-pipe circuit hogs all the flow. I have
now added a balancing valve to the entire 1-pipe system which seems to
do the trick. I only had a 22mm compression service valve to hand,
and it is not the best type of valve to make delicate adjustments.

My question is, what sort of valve should I be using to balance a
domestic heating system? I have found double regulating valves in a
web search which look just right, but at over 100 pounds for a 22mm
compression valve they are far too expensive for domestic central
heating.

MJA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MJA" wrote

I have a mixed 1-pipe and 2-pipe central heating system. The 2-pipe
circuit feeds 2 radiators added by a previous owner. It has been
difficult to balance as the 1-pipe circuit hogs all the flow. I have
now added a balancing valve to the entire 1-pipe system which seems to
do the trick. I only had a 22mm compression service valve to hand,
and it is not the best type of valve to make delicate adjustments.

My question is, what sort of valve should I be using to balance a
domestic heating system? I have found double regulating valves in a
web search which look just right, but at over 100 pounds for a 22mm
compression valve they are far too expensive for domestic central
heating.

MJA

This might just be one of the rare occasions where a gate valve could be
useful.
I know for isolation they are the pits, as they tend to seize shut etc.
But in your case, once the right degree of throttling is set, you won't
touch the thing again.
Also they present less of an inherent flow restriction.
I'll wait for the gate-valve-detestors to come and shoot me down now

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"MJA" wrote

[...]

If you are going to all that bother to fit a valve, then you should fit the
correct one.
A GLOBE Valve. Designed for Flow Control.
A Gate valve is designed only for Shut Off.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:

"MJA" wrote

I have a mixed 1-pipe and 2-pipe central heating system. The 2-pipe
circuit feeds 2 radiators added by a previous owner. It has been
difficult to balance as the 1-pipe circuit hogs all the flow. I have
now added a balancing valve to the entire 1-pipe system which seems to
do the trick. I only had a 22mm compression service valve to hand,
and it is not the best type of valve to make delicate adjustments.

My question is, what sort of valve should I be using to balance a
domestic heating system? I have found double regulating valves in a
web search which look just right, but at over 100 pounds for a 22mm
compression valve they are far too expensive for domestic central
heating.

MJA

This might just be one of the rare occasions where a gate valve could be
useful.

Yes, gate valves are used for this, one per 1-pipe circuit.

I know for isolation they are the pits, as they tend to seize shut etc.
But in your case, once the right degree of throttling is set, you won't
touch the thing again.

Exactly.

Also they present less of an inherent flow restriction.

although in this case, it's there for flow restriction!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 29, 12:38*pm, MJA wrote:
I have a mixed 1-pipe and 2-pipe central heating system. *The 2-pipe
circuit feeds 2 radiators added by a previous owner. *It has been
difficult to balance as the 1-pipe circuit hogs all the flow. *I have
now added a balancing valve to the entire 1-pipe system which seems to
do the trick. *I only had a 22mm compression service valve to hand,
and it is not the best type of valve to make delicate adjustments.

My question is, what sort of valve should I be using to balance a
domestic heating system? *I have found double regulating valves in a
web search which look just right, but at over 100 pounds for a 22mm
compression valve they are far too expensive for domestic central
heating.

MJA

any type, but maybe best pick a full bore one.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote

Also they present less of an inherent flow restriction.

although in this case, it's there for flow restriction!

--

True, but the reduced bore ball valves for instance present an "inherent"
flow restriction before you start throttling. So the control offered will

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote

Also they present less of an inherent flow restriction.

although in this case, it's there for flow restriction!

--

True, but the reduced bore ball valves for instance present an
"inherent" flow restriction before you start throttling. So the
control offered will be over a smaller range. Yes I know the purists
will say that ball valves shouldn't be used for flow control!

Phil

I would be inclined to replace a short section of the 22mm pipe with 15mm
(with suitable reducing fittings) and with a 15mm gate valve in the 15mm
section. The smaller pipe *may* provide enough restriction on its own, but
the gate valve would provide additional fine tuning.
--
Cheers,
Roger