Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing exterior building Joinery

Hi, tried to ring the SPAB helpline but am never getting through! I
have a porch on my Victorian property which is in dire need or an
overhaul. Paint is non existant in some places so I need to sort I our
asap before winter. Basically there is an ornate section at the end of
one of the supports in a corbel type style. It has started to crack
severly and bends slightly out of alignment. The crack goes right
through from one side to the other. I am could just fill and paint
over or I could even just replace the whole thing with a new section
of wood - I would prefer to retain the original wood if possible so
any ideas or recommendations (including suitable products) would be
gratefully received. It's not load bearing at the point it has split
by the way, but would like the best most sympathetic solution. Many
thanks! Rich.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Sep, 20:59, Richard wrote:
Hi, tried to ring the SPAB helpline but am never getting through! I
have a porch on my Victorian property which is in dire need or an
overhaul. Paint is non existant in some places so I need to sort I our
asap before winter. Basically there is an ornate section at the end of
one of the supports in a corbel type style. It has started to crack
severly and bends slightly out of alignment. The crack goes right
through from one side to the other. I am could just fill and paint
over or I could even just replace the whole thing with a new section
of wood - I would prefer to retain the original wood if possible so
any ideas or recommendations (including suitable products) would be
gratefully received. It's not load bearing at the point it has split
by the way, but would like the best most sympathetic solution. Many
thanks! Rich.

Can you run some foaming PU adhesive into the crack(s). When cured,
trim and repaint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The SPAB will tell you to dig up and resurrect the original carpenter
that built it.

Filler on its own will probably be of limited use, if the crack is
going to continue to move.

If you have the right skills and tools, look at pulling the crack
closed with clamps, then using large screws (countersunk under the
surface and capped with timber plugs), along with a waterproof glue
inside the crack.

Otherwise find a traditional joiner to make up a whole new piece, or
splice in a repair.

(actually to be fair to the SPAB, they will probably suggest the
latter. Their weekend courses in traditional building restoration are
very good, although they do tend to sneer at modern approaches widely
used by professionals)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 9:15*pm, RubberBiker wrote:
The SPAB will tell you to dig up and resurrect the original carpenter
that built it.

Filler on its own will probably be of limited use, if the crack is
going to continue to move.

If you have the right skills and tools, look at pulling the crack
closed with clamps, then using large screws (countersunk under the
surface and capped with timber plugs), along with a waterproof glue
inside the crack.

Otherwise find a traditional joiner to make up a whole new piece, or
splice in a repair.

(actually to be fair to the SPAB, they will probably suggest the
latter. Their weekend courses in traditional building restoration are
very good, although they do tend to sneer at modern approaches widely
used by professionals)

:-) lol thanks for the advice - I think it's a case of finding a
traditional joiner then - any ideas for someone who will use proper
traditional methods - or is yellow pages as good a place as any to
start? Are there any online directories that could help prevent me
getting stung? I'm in Sevenoaks Kent by the way so if anyone has good
recommendations I'm all ears! Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Sep, 22:21, Richard wrote:
On Sep 22, 9:15*pm, RubberBiker wrote:

:-) lol thanks for the advice - I think it's a case of finding a
traditional joiner then - any ideas for someone who will use proper
traditional methods - or is yellow pages as good a place as any to
start? Are there any online directories that could help prevent me
getting stung? I'm in Sevenoaks Kent by the way so if anyone has good
recommendations I'm all ears!

Way too far off my patch for me to view then quote.