Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A bit OT - horse shoe

I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised how
big it is - 175 x220mm. Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised how
big it is - 175 x220mm. Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

Rob

Shires get pretty big feet wise.

Though it might be a Smith's special for decoration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 01:16:04 -0700 (PDT), robgraham wrote:

I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised how
big it is - 175 x220mm. Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

Shire horses have big hooves... Not sure they are that big though but
wouldn't be surprised.

If you hang it up somewhere make sure the prongs are facing upwards
so the luck doesn't run out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Sep, 09:16, robgraham wrote:

175 x220mm. *Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

My own feet are a foot long, so why should I expect horses to be any
smaller?

This seems big for a contemporary saddle horse, but not if it's old
and originally for a larger draught horse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Sep, 09:16, robgraham wrote:
I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. *I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised how
big it is - 175 x220mm. *Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

Rob

Quite normal for a shire or similar draft horse. Now for really big
feet try an Ardennes horse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised

how
big it is - 175 x220mm. Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

Rob

The Clydesdale that trod on my foot the other week has VERY large
hooves, fortunately he's not shod and it was on softish ground seeing
he weighs in at a tad under a metric ton

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

If you hang it up somewhere make sure the prongs are facing upwards
so the luck doesn't run out.

Ah, but that way the witches can get in, hang it cockeyed.

--
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realise you're wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
robgraham wrote:
I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised how
big it is - 175 x220mm. Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

Rob

Shires get pretty big feet wise.

Though it might be a Smith's special for decoration.

One of our two riding horses (they are fairly big as riding horses go)
has shoes which are getting on for 200mm across so 175 x 220 doesn't
really seem all that big. Police horses could well be that size and
big shires would probably be be even bigger.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/09 10:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:

If you hang it up somewhere make sure the prongs are facing upwards
so the luck doesn't run out.

Surely you need to face the prongs downward so the devil can't sit
inside it ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised how
big it is - 175 x220mm. Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

'orse I learned to ride on had feet that the print made I could stand inside
with an inch or so around the outside of me boots and I have size 9s FFS !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:26:15 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

If you hang it up somewhere make sure the prongs are facing

upwards
so the luck doesn't run out.

Surely you need to face the prongs downward so the devil can't sit
inside it ...

Or for the luck to pour out of the prongs all over you. There are
many superstitions about horse shoes but luck falling out of the
prongs is consistent. Of course the only really lucky horse shoe is a
used one that you have found by accident.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Of course the only really lucky horse shoe is a
used one that you have found by accident.

Not so lucky for the horse, though?

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep, 00:52, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham
saying something like:

I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. *I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised how
big it is - 175 x220mm. *Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

From a shire horse, some of them have hooves the size of dinner plates.

Many thanks guys - I reckon this could well have been a Clydesdale
then as I'm in Scotland. I can't remember when and where I originally
found it but there's been a fair bit of earth moving around the house,
so I will take the luck for finding it. The logic that such a big
animal would have feet as big as ours is fairly persuasive.

The various myths are good too. I had tiny horseshoe in the old
workshop which had it's prongs up the way - it would have been a
pretty small devil to have sat inside it.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 12:34*pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. *I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised

how
big it is - 175 x220mm. *Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

Rob

The Clydesdale that trod on my foot the other week has VERY large
hooves, fortunately he's not shod and it was on softish ground seeing
he weighs in at a tad under a metric ton

LOL! Unlike my wife's sister who trod on my unshod foot. She was shod,
and caused some nasty bruising.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice"
saying something like:

Or for the luck to pour out of the prongs all over you. There are
many superstitions about horse shoes

But the one about making sure the nail you hang it from is a good, sound
one, is consistent.
Nothing more unlucky than being clouted on the head by a falling
horseshoe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
I'm gradually clearing out the old workshop and moving across to the
new one. I came across a horse shoe in a corner and am surprised how
big it is - 175 x220mm. Is this going to be a genuine one or
something made just as a large shoe ?

Rob

That's a reasonable size for a heavy horse

Ive got one from a Noriker-Suffolk Punch cross.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2ufzfjq.jpg

and that's not as big feet wise, as some breeds.

-