Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solvent for builders expanding foam

Anyone know what common solvent might help clean cured foam from a metal
surface. I don't want to risk scratching the surface with a knife or
chisel. I don't have a can to hand to read any instructions there might
be on it.

TIA

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle
wibbled on Monday 21 September 2009 23:05

Anyone know what common solvent might help clean cured foam from a metal
surface. I don't want to risk scratching the surface with a knife or
chisel. I don't have a can to hand to read any instructions there might
be on it.

TIA

Bob

There is a Foam Eater product (try Screwfix or Toolstation). I have some but
haven't tried it yet...

--
Tim Watts
The ****artist formerly known as Tim S

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle wrote:
Anyone know what common solvent might help clean cured foam from a metal
surface. I don't want to risk scratching the surface with a knife or
chisel. I don't have a can to hand to read any instructions there might
be on it.

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle wrote:
Anyone know what common solvent might help clean cured foam from a

metal
surface. I don't want to risk scratching the surface with a knife

or
chisel. I don't have a can to hand to read any instructions there

might
be on it.

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)

David

IME acetone only disolves the foam in the early stages of cure - not
found anything that will disolve it when set rock hard

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:20:47 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)

IME acetone only disolves the foam in the early stages of cure -

not
found anything that will disolve it when set rock hard

Nitromors?

Probably not. Veg oil might, that is mentioned on the side of the can
of the last lot I used. Next time I will oil my hands before using
the stuff so it doesn't stick. Veg oil did lift the small bits of my
skin but it hadn't fully cured.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:20:47 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)

IME acetone only disolves the foam in the early stages of cure -

not
found anything that will disolve it when set rock hard

Nitromors?

Probably not. Veg oil might, that is mentioned on the side of the

can
of the last lot I used. Next time I will oil my hands before using
the stuff so it doesn't stick. Veg oil did lift the small bits of my
skin but it hadn't fully cured.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I alway wear thin blue surgeon type gloves when foaming - nightmare to
get off hands - especially nails

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:20:47 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)
IME acetone only disolves the foam in the early stages of cure -

not
found anything that will disolve it when set rock hard

Nitromors?

Probably not. Veg oil might, that is mentioned on the side of the can
of the last lot I used. Next time I will oil my hands before using
the stuff so it doesn't stick. Veg oil did lift the small bits of my
skin but it hadn't fully cured.

Nitromors would almost certainly dissolve cured foam from metal. I can't
think of anything synthetic it doesn't dissolve

Solvent suggestion for removing foam? Adrian C UK diy 10 June 16th 08 01:00 AM
expanding foam HELP Peter UK diy 11 June 24th 07 08:14 PM
Expanding Foam VisionSet UK diy 3 September 6th 06 09:16 PM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM