DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Solvent for builders expanding foam (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/287739-solvent-builders-expanding-foam.html)

Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle September 21st 09 11:05 PM

Solvent for builders expanding foam

Anyone know what common solvent might help clean cured foam from a metal
surface. I don't want to risk scratching the surface with a knife or
chisel. I don't have a can to hand to read any instructions there might
be on it.

TIA

Bob

Tim W[_2_] September 21st 09 11:42 PM

Solvent for builders expanding foam

Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle
wibbled on Monday 21 September 2009 23:05

Anyone know what common solvent might help clean cured foam from a metal
surface. I don't want to risk scratching the surface with a knife or
chisel. I don't have a can to hand to read any instructions there might
be on it.

TIA

Bob

There is a Foam Eater product (try Screwfix or Toolstation). I have some but
haven't tried it yet...

--
Tim Watts
The ****artist formerly known as Tim S

Lobster September 22nd 09 12:06 AM

Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle wrote:
Anyone know what common solvent might help clean cured foam from a metal
surface. I don't want to risk scratching the surface with a knife or
chisel. I don't have a can to hand to read any instructions there might
be on it.

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)

David

Andrew Mawson September 22nd 09 08:01 AM

"Lobster" wrote in message
Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle wrote:
Anyone know what common solvent might help clean cured foam from a

metal
surface. I don't want to risk scratching the surface with a knife

or
chisel. I don't have a can to hand to read any instructions there

might
be on it.

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)

David

IME acetone only disolves the foam in the early stages of cure - not
found anything that will disolve it when set rock hard

AWEM

Dave Liquorice[_2_] September 22nd 09 11:18 AM

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:20:47 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)

IME acetone only disolves the foam in the early stages of cure -

not
found anything that will disolve it when set rock hard

Nitromors?

Probably not. Veg oil might, that is mentioned on the side of the can
of the last lot I used. Next time I will oil my hands before using
the stuff so it doesn't stick. Veg oil did lift the small bits of my
skin but it hadn't fully cured.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andrew Mawson September 22nd 09 12:32 PM

Solvent for builders expanding foam

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:20:47 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)

IME acetone only disolves the foam in the early stages of cure -

not
found anything that will disolve it when set rock hard

Nitromors?

Probably not. Veg oil might, that is mentioned on the side of the

can
of the last lot I used. Next time I will oil my hands before using
the stuff so it doesn't stick. Veg oil did lift the small bits of my
skin but it hadn't fully cured.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I alway wear thin blue surgeon type gloves when foaming - nightmare to
get off hands - especially nails

AWEM

Stuart Noble September 22nd 09 01:54 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:20:47 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Acetone (aka 'proper' nail varnish remover)
IME acetone only disolves the foam in the early stages of cure -

not
found anything that will disolve it when set rock hard

Nitromors?

Probably not. Veg oil might, that is mentioned on the side of the can
of the last lot I used. Next time I will oil my hands before using
the stuff so it doesn't stick. Veg oil did lift the small bits of my
skin but it hadn't fully cured.

Nitromors would almost certainly dissolve cured foam from metal. I can't
think of anything synthetic it doesn't dissolve