Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Preferred option for new overflow in the bath?

Cleaning the bath this afternoon and the overflow (grille? thingy? - don't
know what you call it but it's the bit that the plug chain fastens to, as
can be seen in this Screwfix picture here http://preview.tinyurl.com/mb99m6)
came loose and would not screw back. Further investigation shows that it
never will screw back on because it's the bit with the metal thread insert
(captive nut, I suppose) that's broken away from the plastic back bit so I
suppose it means putting a new waste in.

Problem is, the side of the bath is tiled so only access is either rip off
the side panel and re-tile (plenty spare tiles left by previous owner) or
rip down part of the kitchen ceiling and go in from there - all for a 12
quid waste!!! (

What's the preferred method chaps? Or indeed, does anyone have any better
ideas?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

Make a new plug from an old one with a length of pipe inserted up to
normal overflow level and block off the old overflow hole.
Then you have an overflow and plug with a handle. And a conversation
point with visitors!
Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle" wrote in
message ...
Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

Just be careful which end you sit -oooooooooo-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 19, 3:42*pm, "Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote:
Cleaning the bath this afternoon and the overflow (grille? thingy? - don't
know what you call it but it's the bit that the plug chain fastens to, as
can be seen in this Screwfix picture herehttp://preview.tinyurl.com/mb99m6)
came loose and would not screw back. Further investigation shows that it
never will screw back on because it's the bit with the metal thread insert
(captive nut, I suppose) that's broken away from the plastic back bit so I
suppose it means putting a new waste in.

Could you glue it back on with Araldite? it helps if you roughen the
two bits with some fine sandpaper first.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert Laws wrote:
On Sep 19, 3:42 pm, "Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote:
Cleaning the bath this afternoon and the overflow (grille? thingy? -
don't know what you call it but it's the bit that the plug chain
fastens to, as can be seen in this Screwfix picture
herehttp://preview.tinyurl.com/mb99m6) came loose and would not
screw back. Further investigation shows that it never will screw
back on because it's the bit with the metal thread insert (captive
nut, I suppose) that's broken away from the plastic back bit so I
suppose it means putting a new waste in.

Could you glue it back on with Araldite? it helps if you roughen the
two bits with some fine sandpaper first.

That would be my first line of attack. This stuff is awesome
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36933/...hesive-Sealant

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Robert Laws wrote:
On Sep 19, 3:42 pm, "Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote:
Cleaning the bath this afternoon and the overflow (grille? thingy? -
don't know what you call it but it's the bit that the plug chain
fastens to, as can be seen in this Screwfix picture
herehttp://preview.tinyurl.com/mb99m6) came loose and would not
screw back. Further investigation shows that it never will screw
back on because it's the bit with the metal thread insert (captive
nut, I suppose) that's broken away from the plastic back bit so I
suppose it means putting a new waste in.

Could you glue it back on with Araldite? it helps if you roughen the
two bits with some fine sandpaper first.

That would be my first line of attack. This stuff is awesome
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36933/...hesive-Sealant

Sorry, I'm having a blonde, brain-freeze moment here. Did you mean try to
Araldite the captive nut in place chaps, or did you mean glue the pipe
assembly to the back face of the bath?

I could try to Araldite the captive nut back in place but it's a bit
awkward. I'm having to use surgical clamps to stop it falling away as it is
but a bit of "keyhole surgery" may do the trick ) Captive nut position
arrowed he
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...o/overflow.jpg

That sealant looks good Dave but there's no way I could get glue on the back
and hold it in place, square against the back face of the bath, long enough
for the glue to set.

Sorry to be so thick )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36933/...Sealants/Gener...

Sorry, I'm having a blonde, brain-freeze moment here. Did you mean try to
Araldite the captive nut in place chaps, or did you mean glue the pipe
assembly to the back face of the bath?

I could try to Araldite the captive nut back in place but it's a bit
awkward. I'm having to use surgical clamps to stop it falling away as it is
but a bit of "keyhole surgery" may do the trick *) *Captive nut position
arrowed hehttp://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...o/overflow.jpg

That sealant looks good Dave but there's no way I could get glue on the back
and hold it in place, square against the back face of the bath, long enough
for the glue to set.

Sorry to be so thick *)- Hide quoted text -

It's not the best time to sell the house either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could you glue it back on with Araldite? it helps if you roughen the
two bits with some fine sandpaper first.

Did that to a shower tray outlet that came loose some years ago (I suspect
the plastic nut jumped a thread). It's been fine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:49:14 +0100, "Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote:

Sorry, I'm having a blonde, brain-freeze moment here. Did you mean try to
Araldite the captive nut in place chaps, or did you mean glue the pipe
assembly to the back face of the bath?

I could try to Araldite the captive nut back in place but it's a bit
awkward. I'm having to use surgical clamps to stop it falling away as it is
but a bit of "keyhole surgery" may do the trick ) Captive nut position
arrowed he

Put some silicone sealant around the inside edge of the hole and,
using your Spencer Wells forceps in the hole, pull the backing plate
onto the hole. Allow to set for a day. This will hold it in place
while you do the rest.

Cover the bolt with a thin but complete film of silicone grease (NOT
sealant). Mix some quite thick epoxy or car body filler (a cure
second only to an angle grinder) and gently push it through and around
the hole. Try to build it up around the back. Tape the waste in
place and gently screw the grease coated bolt into the filler. Leave
until very well set and then tighten the bolt gently and remove the
tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
[...]

What a brilliant idea Peter. Thanks for that my friend )

bath overflow [email protected] UK diy 2 August 13th 07 04:13 PM
Fitting A Bath Overflow Stuart UK diy 2 November 26th 06 04:12 PM
Looking for a bath overflow that is flush with the bath surface? Peter UK diy 0 October 18th 05 02:07 PM
Bath Overflow Pipe dougval UK diy 3 January 4th 05 09:22 PM
Overflow on new bath leaking BigWallop UK diy 4 July 25th 03 02:56 PM