Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freeview box - Fixed!

Thanks to all for advice on my dead Freeview box. New capacitors arrived
today from Maplin. A tad larger than the old one but I shoehorned it in and
spattered some solder in its general direction. ;-)

Anyhow, it's working fine now. Perhaps the Maplin ones aren't the perfect
ones but I've got another three left over should they prove short-lived. ;-)

Thanks again.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Thanks to all for advice on my dead Freeview box. New capacitors arrived
today from Maplin. A tad larger than the old one but I shoehorned it in
and spattered some solder in its general direction. ;-)

Anyhow, it's working fine now. Perhaps the Maplin ones aren't the perfect
ones but I've got another three left over should they prove short-lived.
;-)

Well done.

On the basis of your sucessful repair I'll get some capacitors in for the
day my Sony STB fails.

Are the programmes improved?

Roger R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
Anyhow, it's working fine now. Perhaps the Maplin ones aren't the
perfect ones but I've got another three left over should they prove
short-lived. ;-)

What make? Are they marked 105C? An ordinary electrolytic will fail in
short order in an SMPS where it needs a low ESR type.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 10:38*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *Tim Downie wrote:

Anyhow, it's working fine now. *Perhaps the Maplin ones aren't the
perfect ones but I've got another three left over should they prove
short-lived. ;-)

What make? Are they marked 105C? An ordinary electrolytic will fail in
short order in an SMPS where it needs a low ESR type.

That really depends on the ambient temperature and the temperature
range the box was designed for, amongst other things. It may well work
just fine for a long time. The original failure is almost certainly
the well known "bad capacitor" problem that I think someone mentioned
in the original thread.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
Anyhow, it's working fine now. Perhaps the Maplin ones aren't the
perfect ones but I've got another three left over should they prove
short-lived. ;-)

What make?

Jamicon

Are they marked 105C?

Yep. They're 35V as opposed to the original 10V so I don't know if that
will have an influence on longevity. I'm guessing it can't do any harm to
be a bit overspec in this regard.

An ordinary electrolytic will fail in
short order in an SMPS where it needs a low ESR type.

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Downie wrote:
Anyhow, it's working fine now. Perhaps the Maplin ones aren't the
perfect ones but I've got another three left over should they prove
short-lived. ;-)

What make?

Jamicon

Are they marked 105C?

Yep. They're 35V as opposed to the original 10V so I don't know if that
will have an influence on longevity. I'm guessing it can't do any harm
to be a bit overspec in this regard.

An ordinary electrolytic will fail in
short order in an SMPS where it needs a low ESR type.

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate?

Tim

IIRC Effective series resistance. ;-)

It's that old Eye Squared Arr thing.

makes em go pop. Worth putting a lower value non electrolytic in
parallel sometimes.

Repairing a Freeview box (was Freeview STBs and TiVo) Tim Downie UK diy 51 September 17th 09 04:30 PM
FreeView Doctor Drivel UK diy 78 June 17th 06 12:18 AM
TV VCR Freeview DVD Chris Bacon UK diy 22 July 28th 05 07:47 PM
Freeview Set Top Boxes peter UK diy 13 December 16th 03 05:49 PM
Stationary planers - fixed head or fixed table? Steve Turner Woodworking 5 July 12th 03 02:15 AM