Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double-up floor joist?

My first floor joists are 7in x 2in, at 400mm centres. They span about
2.4m. Counting from one side of the room, the first joist is 3in from
the wall - if I remove the second joist, to create a stair well, in
principle does the third joist, which is now at the edge of the stair
well, need to be doubled up, and if so why? Would it make a difference
if a cast iron bath were to be placed in that part of the room?

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 04:44:21 -0700, geraldthehamster wrote:

My first floor joists are 7in x 2in, at 400mm centres. They span about
2.4m. Counting from one side of the room, the first joist is 3in from
the wall - if I remove the second joist, to create a stair well, in
principle does the third joist, which is now at the edge of the stair
well, need to be doubled up, and if so why?

Speculation follows, IANASE etc. :-)

Is a vertical support at the top of the stairs running to the floor below
an option? Depends what the implications are of transmitting load to
that floor below, but if it's solid beneath I suspect that'd do the
job.

Presumably some load on the floor is spread to the walls 'sideways' at
right-angles to the joists, so cutting out a big hole for stairs
does weaken things a bit, but by how much I'm not sure.

(Interesting question, anyway - I'm thinking about putting in some proper
stairs for the first floor in our barn, so would have the same
issues)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 1:49*pm, Jules
wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm interested in the theory as well as the practice. I can see
that a new stud wall built onto what is now the "edge joist" might
necessitate doubling up to support it, but is it necessary in any case
because the joist is at the edge? If so, I don't understand the
physics ;-)

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On Sep 15, 1:49 pm, Jules
wrote:
[...]

there will be a lot more stress and strain
with people running up and down the stairs,
lugging heavy things up and down etc,
you dont want to finish it off beautiful
and have the building inspector tell you to do it again,
or it to come loose after a few years use and abuse.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 3:57*pm, "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
On Sep 15, 1:49 pm, Jules
wrote:
[...]

[g]- Hide quoted text -

The building what, sorry? ;-)

Regards
Richard

Regards
Richard

bathroom floor joist rot Rick5 Home Repair 5 March 24th 08 04:23 AM
floor joist support thehip Home Repair 8 November 27th 06 01:33 PM
Floor joist calculations Chris Styles UK diy 7 March 10th 06 05:03 PM
Spongy floor joist S Almond UK diy 2 October 30th 05 09:28 PM
floor joist RB Home Repair 1 January 23rd 04 06:42 PM