Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Backing Plate For Wall Lights

I have just fitted some replacement wall lights, they look OK but would
look better if they had some sort of backing plate behind them, bit like a
decorative ceiling rose but oval shaped.

I'm struggling to find anything, can anybody give me any pointers or even
the proper name for these things (if they exist). I found some references
to a Siding Mounting Block which seems to be the American name but nothing
in the UK.

If I could find something in wood it might make fitting these lights a lot
easier as well.

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

Wooden pattress. They're easy enough to make from 18mm MDF.

Cic.

Are you able to turn water into wine as well? g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in
:

I have just fitted some replacement wall lights, they look OK but
would look better if they had some sort of backing plate behind
them, bit like a decorative ceiling rose but oval shaped.

If I could find something in wood it might make fitting these
lights a lot easier as well.

I have used wooden pattresses to fit ceiling lights in a period home.
Not used them for wall lights, but the place we bought them from also
does oval ones. Not cheap, but they do look the part:
http://www.periodfeatures.net/acatalog/Mounting_blocks.html

Hope this helps

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Gaines wrote:
I have just fitted some replacement wall lights, they look OK but would
look better if they had some sort of backing plate behind them, bit like
a decorative ceiling rose but oval shaped.

I'm struggling to find anything, can anybody give me any pointers or
even the proper name for these things (if they exist). I found some
references to a Siding Mounting Block which seems to be the American
name but nothing in the UK.

If I could find something in wood it might make fitting these lights a
lot easier as well.

Dunno about oval, but you can use a architrave box and mount to a blank
plate - or for round do the same with a BESA one.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2009 in message Dave Plowman
(News) wrote:

[snipped]

Thanks for all the input :-)

I think I will replace the mix of pattress boxes/holes in the wall with
flush architrave boxes for a start. Then I will mount the lights on brass
finger plates (Georgian type with a decorative edge) with brass bolts then
mount that assembly over the architrave box. This will also overcome the
issue that the cables are all bottom entry so I can't use the bottom
fixing on the light - a finger plate would mean I can get fixings either
side of the cable.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Gaines wrote:
I think I will replace the mix of pattress boxes/holes in the wall with
flush architrave boxes for a start. Then I will mount the lights on
brass finger plates (Georgian type with a decorative edge) with brass
bolts then mount that assembly over the architrave box. This will also
overcome the issue that the cables are all bottom entry so I can't use
the bottom fixing on the light - a finger plate would mean I can get
fixings either side of the cable.

Excellent way of doing it. And allows easy removal for later decoration
etc. Screws into the wall either side of a cable sticking out are
guaranteed to give trouble. And likely go into the mortar course. ;-)

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

fixing wall plate SoWeezy UK diy 13 June 1st 06 12:26 AM
Durock or Hardi for shower wall backing? Joe S Home Repair 2 April 14th 05 09:51 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM
backing box for wall light the yorkshire dalesman UK diy 8 March 3rd 04 06:21 PM
Too many holes in the wall top plate? B Home Repair 2 August 8th 03 07:48 PM