Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Illuminated switch to show that cloakroom light and fan is still on

Any suggestions for a source of illuminated light switch as a reminder
that the light it feeds is still on? We have a loo under the stairs with
the light switch on the outside and it sometimes gets left switched on
so the fan remains running (as well as the light being on). I don't want
to fit a clunky 20Amp DP mains switch like this
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/mk-20a-dp-s...whi-p-538.html
or this
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/mk-20a-dp-s...whi-p-539.html

What I really want is a basic light switch like this
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/mk-10a-1g-s...whi-p-511.html
but with a neon indicator incorporated. I can't find such a thing, the
nearest being this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DT2503A.html but
it works the wrong way round - the illumination is 'on' when the switch
is 'off' - its so you can find the switch in the dark. I suspect the
wiring could be reversed, but as it's intended to show up in the dark it
may not be bright enough for use in a lighted area.

I also found this
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/mk-neon-loc...041-p-496.html
which is an illuminated section that sits between the switch and the
back-box. Again I'm not sure if its bright enough and it seems a bit of
an overkill.

I'm considering modifying a standard light switch by drilling a hole
into which a small neon or LED is fitted. There is some safety
consideration here so wonder if there is suitable double insulated
neon/led available. Failing that I think I need to create some kind or
perspex window in the switch with the neon/led behind it.

Any thoughts?

Phil