Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help setting up a wireless network (please!)

Roger Mills wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It is insufficient that its not on your hard drive.

Browsers store history..a list of where you have been. Its this that
has been used in evidence as much as actual downloaded material.

They also stotre cookies..a list of registered sites you have
registration for.

Neither of those would be stored on *your* computer though, if someone else
had hacked into your wireless network.

But your ISP would probably know what sites had been accessed via *your*
connection - and may be required to reveal that to Plod.

which of course is a nice bit of technical evidence that 'it wasn't me, gov'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:07:50 +0100, Ian White wrote:

Browsers store history..a list of where you have been. Its this

that
has been used in evidence as much as actual downloaded material.
They also stotre cookies..a list of registered sites you have
registration for.

Amongst other things, some sites set cookies without you having to
register or do anything other than look at a page.

Of course, these may be deleted periodically if you are savvy.

Or better still, inspected and *then* deleted.

Then the unused areas of the disc overwritten by a suitable program
otherwise the information is still there in pristine condition. If
you want to get really paranoid you overwrite each sector several
times with a different pattern each time.

Depends on your OS, and also, they will be immediately overwritten by
the next set of cookies that get setup.

They are not usually discrete files, just one file.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:07:50 +0100, Ian White wrote:

Browsers store history..a list of where you have been. Its this

that
has been used in evidence as much as actual downloaded material.

They also stotre cookies..a list of registered sites you have
registration for.

Amongst other things, some sites set cookies without you having to
register or do anything other than look at a page.

Of course, these may be deleted periodically if you are savvy.

Or better still, inspected and *then* deleted.

Then the unused areas of the disc overwritten by a suitable program
otherwise the information is still there in pristine condition. If
you want to get really paranoid you overwrite each sector several
times with a different pattern each time.

I was thinking more about checking for cookies that don't fit the
pattern of my own activities (which are of course completely innocent
:-) .

Aside from that, I don't exhibit anything more than normal paranoia
twitch

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 2009-09-07, Graeme wrote:

Yes, I know someone could access kiddie porn through my network,
but I have just about enough faith in the legal system to believe
that, if no such stuff is on my hard drive, it will be difficult to
prove that I'm guilty, and 'the authorities' may just believe that
I've been hacked.

I suspect it would not be an experience you'd want to go through,
even if found
innocent.

It is insufficient that its not on your hard drive.

Browsers store history..a list of where you have been. Its this that
has been used in evidence as much as actual downloaded material.

Yes, but if my wireless network had been hacked, the history would not
be on my PC - or am I missing something here?

I take the point, though, that it is not an experience anyone would
enjoy, even if innocent.
--
Graeme