Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot water cylinder coupling?

This is the current setup at the top of our hot water cylinder:

http://i31.tinypic.com/3492i50.jpg

The pipework coming out of it is 22mm, and you can see there is some kind of
reducer in play there also.

I'm planning on fitting one of these tomorrow, which has a 1" bsp
connection, male, or female with adaptor.

http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/ima...ts/SFLANGE.gif

Never having done anything like this before, I want to make sure I have all
the right bits before I start the job. Will it be a simple task of removing
everything that's there already and screwing in the flange? Or will I need
to get an adaptor of sorts to allow me to fit the flange to the tank?

Is it likely I will find a 1" bsp female threaded hole at the top of the
cylinder once all the old stuff has been removed?

Also, will I need to be cautious of any parts I can't see falling into the
tank, like a male part of a coupler or something?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/09 09:42, Davey wrote:

I'm planning on fitting one of these tomorrow, which has a 1" bsp
connection, male, or female with adaptor.

http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/ima...ts/SFLANGE.gif

Never having done anything like this before, I want to make sure I have all
the right bits before I start the job. Will it be a simple task of removing
everything that's there already and screwing in the flange? Or will I need
to get an adaptor of sorts to allow me to fit the flange to the tank?

Is it likely I will find a 1" bsp female threaded hole at the top of the
cylinder once all the old stuff has been removed?

If you do have a 1" coupling at the top should be straightforward, I
discovered my tank only had a 3/4" and I couldn't find anywhere that
stocked a suitable essex/surrey or similar flange, so I fitted a warrix
(sp?) flange,. worked nicely but rather an odd prospect taking a
hole-saw to the side of a perfectly good HW tank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
[...]

This is the cylinder we have:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40082/...r-1050-x-450mm

140 litres, 1050 x 450mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

[...]

From the look of your photo of the existing setup, the cylinder has a 1" BSP
female boss in the top - into which is screwed a 1" male to 22mm compression
fitting.

If you remove the existing fitting, and then remove the supplied female
adapter from the flange, the flange will screw straight into the top of the
cylinder. The only problem you will have will be getting the pump outlet to
point in the right direction when the flange is tight. You may need to
experiment with different thicknesses of washer. For good measure, when
finally fitting it, put some liquid PTFE on the threads.

A 22mm vent/domestic hot water supply pipe will fit straight into the
vertical outlet, making use of the supplied 28x22 reducing set.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:42:03 +0100 someone who may be "Davey"
wrote this:-

Is it likely I will find a 1" bsp female threaded hole at the top of the
cylinder once all the old stuff has been removed?

To add to what has been said, you will need to reduce the length of
the existing vertical vent pipe so that it fits into the new
fitting. The vent pipe should be horizontal or rising. If you add
the new fitting and bodge the existing vent pipe into it without
adapting it then the vent pipe will run downwards. Given the amount
of space careful use of a pipe cutter is advisable.

Also, will I need to be cautious of any parts I can't see falling into the
tank, like a male part of a coupler or something?

No.

I suggest that you start off by fitting the coupling and connect a
short new length of pipe and a valve to it. Then you can restore
domestic harmony by getting the hot water back on as quickly as
possible. If there are no problems you can then do the pump and so
on, eventually connecting it all up to this valve. If there are
problems then you have time to sort these out. The same approach can
be taken with the connection you will presumably be making to the
cold water storage tank.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

This is the cylinder we have:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40082/...r-1050-x-450mm

140 litres, 1050 x 450mm

I've got the 900 x 450 equivalent of that (just over a year old) and mine is
definitely 1" BSP at the top, so yours will almost certainly be the same.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Davey wrote:

This is the cylinder we have:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40082/...r-1050-x-450mm

140 litres, 1050 x 450mm

I've got the 900 x 450 equivalent of that (just over a year old) and
mine is definitely 1" BSP at the top, so yours will almost certainly
be the same.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks.