Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default another elec. query (quick one)

is it a Requirement to have a fan isolator switch on a bathroom fan
(connected into lighting circuit)?

TIA
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 10:02*am, jim wrote:
is it a Requirement to have a fan isolator switch on a bathroom fan
(connected into lighting circuit)?

TIA
JimK

According to the data sheet for the bathroom fan I've just bought -
yes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Owain wrote:
On 2 Sep, 10:02, jim wrote:
is it a Requirement to have a fan isolator switch on a bathroom fan
(connected into lighting circuit)?

Yes. The fan must be isolatable for mechanical maintenance. If the
isolator is not under the 'control' of someone working on the fan then
it must be of the type that can be locked off.

and either way, it should have some mechanical way that you can tell its
off by looking.

And it doesn't have to be in a "normal" place. Mine's going to be in the
roof void as that's where the inline fan is. One could discretely mount it
on or up against the ceiling if required - as long as it does it's job -
being a means of isolation of the fan by someone who's about to stick their
fingers in it.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 2 Sep, 10:02, jim wrote:
is it a Requirement to have a fan isolator switch on a bathroom fan
(connected into lighting circuit)?

Yes. The fan must be isolatable for mechanical maintenance. If the
isolator is not under the 'control' of someone working on the fan then
it must be of the type that can be locked off.

and either way, it should have some mechanical way that you can tell its
off by looking.

And it doesn't have to be in a "normal" place. Mine's going to be in the
roof void as that's where the inline fan is. One could discretely mount it
on or up against the ceiling if required - as long as it does it's job -
being a means of isolation of the fan by someone who's about to stick
their
fingers in it.

I also believe (but not 100% sure) it has to be a certain distance from the
fan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 2 Sep, 10:02, jim wrote:
is it a Requirement to have a fan isolator switch on a bathroom fan
(connected into lighting circuit)?

Yes. The fan must be isolatable for mechanical maintenance. If the
isolator is not under the 'control' of someone working on the fan then
it must be of the type that can be locked off.

and either way, it should have some mechanical way that you can tell its
off by looking.

And it doesn't have to be in a "normal" place. Mine's going to be in the
roof void as that's where the inline fan is. One could discretely mount it
on or up against the ceiling if required - as long as it does it's job -
being a means of isolation of the fan by someone who's about to stick
their
fingers in it.

I also believe (but not 100% sure) it has to be a certain distance from the
fan.- Hide quoted text -

Plus, if it's in bathroom, you've got all the usual zone 1 etc regs.
to take into account..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I also believe (but not 100% sure) it has to be a certain distance
from the fan.

I am not aware of any distance requirements...

If an isolator to allow safe working on the fan I'd guess there could be
common sense used.

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I also believe (but not 100% sure) it has to be a certain distance
from the fan.

I am not aware of any distance requirements...

If an isolator to allow safe working on the fan I'd guess there could be
common sense used.

I agree. I've not seem any specific regulation re distance - but it should
be either within sight (and I would add: close) or lockable for the safety
of the person working on the fan.

Cheers

Tim

plastic plumbing - a quick "pipe, inserts & fittings" query jim UK diy 12 December 15th 08 08:00 PM
Elec. Disconnect box help Greg White Home Repair 24 June 21st 07 02:44 AM
Quick query re skirting height [email protected] UK diy 4 October 22nd 05 08:28 AM
Elec. Regs. query mark b UK diy 3 February 1st 05 04:51 PM
How quick is quick curing silicone? Nicholas UK diy 4 January 6th 05 10:00 PM