Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Elec. Disconnect box help

Hi all,

Just a general electrical question, I am installing central air system
(230V)and have got a 12 gauge line to the breaker 20A, 2 pole
red(hot), black(hot), white(common), copper (grnd). Now I am
installing it to a disconnect box (Cutler Hammer). In the box it has
screw connections for the 2 ground (1 in from the panel and 1 out to
the central air) and then 4 connections (2 in and 2 out) but I have 3
in and 3 out wires. Do I connect the red and black hot together on one
side and the white common the other?
I think this is right but just need assurance from someone who as done
this before.

Cheers,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, Greg White wrote:
Just a general electrical question, I am installing central air system
(230V)and have got a 12 gauge line to the breaker 20A, 2 pole
red(hot), black(hot), white(common),

White is neutral. Not "common". That's a DC term.

copper (grnd). Now I am
installing it to a disconnect box (Cutler Hammer). In the box it has
screw connections for the 2 ground (1 in from the panel and 1 out to
the central air) and then 4 connections (2 in and 2 out) but I have 3
in and 3 out wires. Do I connect the red and black hot together on one
side and the white common the other?

NO!
NO!
NO!

The red and black wires are what give you the 240 volts. Connect the two of
them together, and you've just short-circuited a 240V circuit. If you're
lucky, the breaker will trip before anything catches on fire.

240V devices don't use the neutral (white) wire at all.

The correct hookup is black to one hot terminal, red to the other hot
terminal, bare to the ground terminal.

White connects to nothing. You don't even need it.

I think this is right but just need assurance from someone who as done
this before.

No offense intended, but....

Why would you think this is right? Please, please, please have "someone who
has done this before" do it for you. It's clear that you don't know what
you're doing, well enough to do it correctly or safely.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 4:15 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
[...]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tend to agree:

Although might word it as "Many 240 volt devices do not need the
neutral (white) at all."

Just thinking about 230/240 volt items in this house.

No neutral:
Hot water heater.
Bench saw.
Electric baseboard heaters.
A few 230 portable power tools (I make sure they are grounded
though!).
A plug in 230 volt welder.

230 volt items that do also use neutral.
Cooking stove.
The clothes dryer; although this varies from model to model.

A proper ground is essential for all.

These people who work on the "Connect the red wire to this and the
white wire to that ............ etc.(and worse. e.g. connecting the
red and black together!!!!!) basis"; clearly do not understand what
they are doing. One danger is that a they may just get it to work, but
unsafely!
The OP should make sure that there is no neutral required by the
equipment; if it is, the connection box mentioned may not have
sufficient terminals; or 'the neutrals should be connected through',
in the Cutler Hammer box, using an approved method.
BTW insurance companies are not impressed by fires and electrical
hazards that may be due to improper wiring!
Do implore; get someone who 'understands' 230/115 volt AC wiring to at
least assist!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, terry wrote:

230 volt items that do also use neutral.
Cooking stove.
The clothes dryer; although this varies from model to model.

Those are 240/120 devices, not 240.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK I got it now,

I have the wrong cable.
The same box is he
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...A-1870D54B0BA3
I should have gotten the red,black,green cable.
Would it be possible to use the whit as a ground since my bare copper
ground is thinner than the white?

Cheers,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Yes, just mark it green at both ends, although all four conductors should be
exactly the same gauge

"Greg White" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK I got it now,

I have the wrong cable.
The same box is he
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...A-1870D54B0BA3
I should have gotten the red,black,green cable.
Would it be possible to use the whit as a ground since my bare copper
ground is thinner than the white?

Cheers,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Yes, just mark it green at both ends,

Only if it's larger than 6AWG, otherwise not permitted. Code requires
continuous green for 6 & smaller.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, Greg White wrote:
OK I got it now,

I have the wrong cable.

Not necessarily -- see below.

The same box is he
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...EA-1870D54B0BA
3
I should have gotten the red,black,green cable.

What's shown in the illustrations at that link is actually individual
conductors. Good luck finding premises-wiring cable that's red/black/green.

You can use black/white/bare, just mark the white wire red at each end.

Would it be possible to use the whit as a ground

No. Code requires the grounding conductor to have either no insulation, or
continuous green insulation. It doesn't meet Code to re-mark a white wire
green. The only exception is conductors larger than 6 gauge, which you
probably don't have.

since my bare copper ground is thinner than the white?

You sure about that? It should say on the cable sheath exactly what size the
conductors are.

What gauge are the wires, and what is the rating of the breaker you're
planning to connect them to?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It's permitted in a multi wire cable, which is what he's using

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:
Yes, just mark it green at both ends,

Only if it's larger than 6AWG, otherwise not permitted. Code requires
continuous green for 6 & smaller.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Greg, you're looking at two different things. The orange stuff is a 10-2
Romex cable, but the things with the red, black, and green conductors are
whips, which are short lengths of weatherproof flex with the three
conductors prefabricated with connectors

"Greg White" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK I got it now,

I have the wrong cable.
The same box is he
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...A-1870D54B0BA3
I should have gotten the red,black,green cable.
Would it be possible to use the whit as a ground since my bare copper
ground is thinner than the white?

Cheers,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:43:27 -0000, Greg White
wrote:

OK I got it now,

I have the wrong cable.
The same box is he
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...A-1870D54B0BA3
I should have gotten the red,black,green cable.
Would it be possible to use the whit as a ground since my bare copper
ground is thinner than the white?

I don't understand their stupid warning on the URL: " You can prepare
the wiring for hook-up, but only a skilled contractor should complete
the high-voltage wiring. Inexperience can cause electrical shock or
damage to your equipment or property. "

I've gotten a hundred shocks from 110AC to 2,000 volts in a tv, to
50,000 volts from a spark plug wire. None of them are as likely to
kill as the 220 from the this wiring, but they only mention
"electrical shock", not death.

Cheers,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
It's permitted in a multi wire cable, which is what he's using

Yes, "where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only
qualified persons service the installation." [Article 250.119(B)]

That doesn't apply to *any* residential installation.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:
Yes, just mark it green at both ends,

Only if it's larger than 6AWG, otherwise not permitted. Code requires
continuous green for 6 & smaller.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Where does it specify that it doesn't apply to any residential installation?
My interpretation is: Who has more control than a homeowner to assure that
only qualified people work on their equipment. That being said, Greg White
in considering connecting red wires to black wires, does defeat my argument

wrote:
It's permitted in a multi wire cable, which is what he's using

Yes, "where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only
qualified persons service the installation." [Article 250.119(B)]

That doesn't apply to *any* residential installation.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:
Yes, just mark it green at both ends,

Only if it's larger than 6AWG, otherwise not permitted. Code requires
continuous green for 6 & smaller.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Where does it specify that it doesn't apply to any residential installation?

"Where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified
persons service the installation."

The Code explicitly defines "qualified person" as "one who has skills and
knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical
equipment and installation and has received safety training on the hazards
involved."

In any residence, the installation can be serviced by the homeowner, his
half-wit brother-in-law, his alcoholic buddy from work, the neighbor who
"knows all about it" but whose actual experience doesn't go beyond changing
light bulbs, etc. etc. etc. There is *no* assurance whatever that unqualified
persons will not service the installation.

My interpretation is: Who has more control than a homeowner to assure that
only qualified people work on their equipment.

Oh, I dunno, a factory foreman or a building supervisor, perhaps?

That being said, Greg White
in considering connecting red wires to black wires, does defeat my argument

Well, there is that, too....

wrote:
It's permitted in a multi wire cable, which is what he's using

Yes, "where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only
qualified persons service the installation." [Article 250.119(B)]

That doesn't apply to *any* residential installation.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.net...
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:
Yes, just mark it green at both ends,

Only if it's larger than 6AWG, otherwise not permitted. Code requires
continuous green for 6 & smaller.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

The two red wires go on one side of the box, the two blacks on
the other side. When you put the connector handle in, the red
should connect to the red. The black connects to the black.

Your outdoor unit probably does not use a white wire, so that one
gets wire nutted and folded over.

The exposed metal connecter at the bottom of the disconnect
connects the green or bare wires.

I've been installing central AC for seven years. I think you're
not right.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Greg White" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hi all,
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Use the bare for a ground, even if it is thinner. If you start
changing colors around, you'll confuse the next guy who works on
the device. Use the bare for a ground.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Greg White" wrote in message
ups.com...
: OK I got it now,
:
: I have the wrong cable.
: The same box is he
:
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...A-1870D54B0BA3
: I should have gotten the red,black,green cable.
: Would it be possible to use the whit as a ground since my bare
copper
: ground is thinner than the white?
:
: Cheers,
:
: John
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Use the bare for a ground, even if it is thinner. If you start
changing colors around, you'll confuse the next guy who works on
the device. Use the bare for a ground.

Hold on there a minute. If the circuit is 30A or less, it's a Code violation
to use an equipment grounding conductor that's smaller than the ungrounded
conductors. (Table 250.122 -- minimum size grounding conductor is 14AWG
copper for a 15A circuit, 12AWG at 20A, 10AWG at 30A.) At 40A and higher, it's
permitted. We don't know yet what size conductors the OP has. I asked him
yesterday, but he hasn't answered.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 11:39 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Use the bare for a ground, even if it is thinner. If you start
changing colors around, you'll confuse the next guy who works on
the device. Use the bare for a ground.

Hold on there a minute. If the circuit is 30A or less, it's a Code violation
to use an equipment grounding conductor that's smaller than the ungrounded
conductors. (Table 250.122 -- minimum size grounding conductor is 14AWG
copper for a 15A circuit, 12AWG at 20A, 10AWG at 30A.) At 40A and higher, it's
permitted. We don't know yet what size conductors the OP has. I asked him
yesterday, but he hasn't answered.

--
Regards,

Good point; he may have acquired some #14 AWG (Red, black, white and
bare ground) typically used for domestic lighting circuits or low
capacity 15 amp maximum outlets???? No good for a 20 amp or 30 amp
circuit!
Do wish the OP would get someone to assist who knows how to do the
work safely and to code.
The idea of using the wrong colour especially for ground instead of
neutral is 'wacky'. It might not cause an immediate problem but God
help the electrician or do it yourself-er who tries to understand what
has been 'hooked up' some ten or fifteen years from now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Your interpretation is probably what they intended, but I'd still maintain
from my experience as a contractor having worked in hospitals, nursing
homes, factories, office buildings, etc. , the group of mutants that you
list, are indeed the same ones I've seen

wrote:
It's permitted in a multi wire cable, which is what he's using

Yes, "where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only
qualified persons service the installation." [Article 250.119(B)]

That doesn't apply to *any* residential installation.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:
Yes, just mark it green at both ends,

Only if it's larger than 6AWG, otherwise not permitted. Code requires
continuous green for 6 & smaller.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

In his original post, he says he has a "12 gauge line"

"terry" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 19, 11:39 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Your interpretation is probably what they intended, but I'd still maintain
from my experience as a contractor having worked in hospitals, nursing
homes, factories, office buildings, etc. , the group of mutants that you
list, are indeed the same ones I've seen

LOL -- my experience observing the quality of commercial installations is
limited to under-the-floor power wiring in computer rooms, where everything
I've ever seen has been first-rate work. I'm sure you've seen quite a bit of
stuff that was second-rate, to be charitable.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
In his original post, he says he has a "12 gauge line"

Oh, did he? I guess I missed that. Leaves me wondering where he bought 12AWG
cable with a 14AWG (or smaller) ground -- AFAIK, that stuff hasn't been
manufactured for years. I'm thinking that he's just mistaken about the size of
the grounding conductor.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Elec. Disconnect box help This guy is fundie idjit

Greg White wrote:
Hi all,

Just a general electrical question, I am installing central air system
(230V)and have got a 12 gauge line to the breaker 20A, 2 pole
red(hot), black(hot), white(common), copper (grnd). Now I am
installing it to a disconnect box (Cutler Hammer). In the box it has
screw connections for the 2 ground (1 in from the panel and 1 out to
the central air) and then 4 connections (2 in and 2 out) but I have 3
in and 3 out wires. Do I connect the red and black hot together on one
side and the white common the other?
I think this is right but just need assurance from someone who as done
this before.

Cheers,

John

Still haven't learned have you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 2:00 pm, Greg White wrote:
Hi all,

Just a general electrical question, I am installing central air system
(230V)and have got a 12 gauge line to the breaker 20A, 2 pole
red(hot), black(hot), white(common), copper (grnd). Now I am
installing it to adisconnectbox(Cutler Hammer). In theboxit has
screw connections for the 2 ground (1 in from the panel and 1 out to
the central air) and then 4 connections (2 in and 2 out) but I have 3
in and 3 out wires. Do I connect the red and black hot together on one
side and the white common the other?
I think this is right but just need assurance from someone who as done
this before.

I am not giving the OP a hard time. DIY is a lot of learn as you go.
I see a post like this and I have to joke a little without directing
it at the OP.

Put the pliers down and step away from the disconnect!

How to disconnect gas range from gas supply [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 2nd 07 07:58 PM
How do you disconnect and reconnect a gas dryer ? WannaBeAHandyMom Electronics Repair 10 September 11th 06 05:22 PM
disconnect spa power peter Home Repair 2 May 5th 06 11:22 PM
AC Disconnect Bedford Guy Home Repair 10 February 1st 06 07:42 PM
How to disconnect fluorescent lights? Walter R. Home Repair 11 November 17th 05 04:43 PM