Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default marble refinishing

anyone had any success cutting/shaping and finishing off (to a
reasonable standard) marble surfaces?

I have acquired a piece of marble ~15mm thick to finish off the "tap
end" of the bath where previously a lot of daft awkward-cut tiles were
bunged in with silicone etc etc and leaked.....

The bit I have is salvage and has some minor surface scratches and a
few stains - assuming I can cut it with (of course) the angle grinder
+diamond blade / elec tile saw :-

what are my best options for dealing with surface stains and
scratches? can you sand it with fine wet and dry?

then how best to polish/seal? for use in the bathroom??

thanks in advance

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:

anyone had any success cutting/shaping and finishing off (to a
reasonable standard) marble surfaces?

I have acquired a piece of marble ~15mm thick to finish off the "tap
end" of the bath where previously a lot of daft awkward-cut tiles were
bunged in with silicone etc etc and leaked.....

The bit I have is salvage and has some minor surface scratches and a
few stains - assuming I can cut it with (of course) the angle grinder
+diamond blade / elec tile saw :-

what are my best options for dealing with surface stains and
scratches? can you sand it with fine wet and dry?

then how best to polish/seal? for use in the bathroom??

thanks in advance

JimK

Go and find a tame monumental mason (bloke who does grave stones). He'll
tell you how to do it - and will probably do it for you for a small fee.

Chances are that that you'll need a water-lubricated saw to cut it, anyway.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Go and find a tame monumental mason (bloke who does grave stones). He'll
tell you how to do it - and will probably do it for you for a small fee.

Chances are that that you'll need a water-lubricated saw to cut it,
anyway.

Marble cuts easily with a wet tile cutter. Within the limits of the
thickness that can cope with obviously.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
anyone had any success cutting/shaping and finishing off (to a
reasonable standard) marble surfaces?

I have acquired a piece of marble ~15mm thick to finish off the "tap
end" of the bath where previously a lot of daft awkward-cut tiles were
bunged in with silicone etc etc and leaked.....

The bit I have is salvage and has some minor surface scratches and a
few stains - assuming I can cut it with (of course) the angle grinder
+diamond blade / elec tile saw :-

what are my best options for dealing with surface stains and
scratches? can you sand it with fine wet and dry?

then how best to polish/seal? for use in the bathroom??

Yes, it polishes with all the usual abrasives.

Wet and dry, and T-cut ;-)

I didn't bother finishing mine. But maybe lithofin stuff is good.

thanks in advance

JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
jim wrote:

[...]

Cuts OK on a tile saw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
anyone had any success cutting/shaping and finishing off (to a
reasonable standard) marble surfaces?

I have acquired a piece of marble ~15mm thick to finish off the "tap
end" of the bath where previously a lot of daft awkward-cut tiles were
bunged in with silicone etc etc and leaked.....

The bit I have is salvage and has some minor surface scratches and a
few stains - assuming I can cut it with (of course) the angle grinder
+diamond blade / elec tile saw :-

what are my best options for dealing with surface stains and
scratches? can you sand it with fine wet and dry?

then how best to polish/seal? for use in the bathroom??

thanks in advance

JimK

I was given a Victorian, marble washstand and cut it out to accept a
modern basin. Angle grinder plus diamond blade cut through the marble
like cheese.
The marble though had a couple of rust stains and no amount of
cleaning and chemicals could shift them (yes I tried the classic
Oxalic acid). Even tried skimming the whole surface down a couple of
mm, only to discover that marble is a porous material and any staining
can go deeeep. Binned it!.