Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable runs

Just been channel-hopping while I'm waiting for the wife and came across an
episode of DIY SOS. Billy the electrician was complaining that someone had
wired up some sockets in the kitchen by running the cable left-to-right
instead of up-and-down.

I thought you could run cable both vertically and horizontally, as long as
it is a straight run to an obvious socket/switch/whatever, eg, come down
from the ceiling to a socket, then say out a metre to the right for another
socket, and then take the return leg back to the first socket box and back
up the chase to the ceiling again?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
Just been channel-hopping while I'm waiting for the wife and came across an
episode of DIY SOS. Billy the electrician was complaining that someone had
wired up some sockets in the kitchen by running the cable left-to-right
instead of up-and-down.

I would not worry - he does not seem to be the sharpest tool in the box...

I thought you could run cable both vertically and horizontally, as long as
it is a straight run to an obvious socket/switch/whatever, eg, come down
from the ceiling to a socket, then say out a metre to the right for another
socket, and then take the return leg back to the first socket box and back
up the chase to the ceiling again?

Indeed you can.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut coughed up some electrons that declared:

Just been channel-hopping while I'm waiting for the wife and came across
an episode of DIY SOS. Billy the electrician was complaining that someone
had wired up some sockets in the kitchen by running the cable
left-to-right instead of up-and-down.

I thought you could run cable both vertically and horizontally, as long as
it is a straight run to an obvious socket/switch/whatever, eg, come down
from the ceiling to a socket, then say out a metre to the right for
another socket, and then take the return leg back to the first socket box
and back up the chase to the ceiling again?

You're right and he's wrong, as John says.

eg I've just done this and it's by the book (17th that is):

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0018.jpg.html

Not only that, you also have a 15cm band on the wall out from each internal
corner and down from the ceiling. The latter I've made use of, bending the
oval conduit so that it can miss lumps of wood that are in the way above
the ceiling. In fact I've been absolutely pedantic about keeping the
conduit withing the vertical zone until it hits the 15cm band, then veering
left or right at upto 30 degrees.

Cheers

Tim