Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric cable runs in attic

Guys,
Do such cable runs require to be contained in trunking when in the attic?
I have just installed some security lights which required quite a few
cable runs.
I neatly tacked the cables either at the side of the joists or on top of
the joists (where no one will step). Is this acceptable according to the
regulations?

--
Thanks,

Steve

Short cuts make for long delays.....

Use ROT13 for my email:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kaiser Sose wrote:

Guys,
Do such cable runs require to be contained in trunking when in the
attic? I have just installed some security lights which required
quite a few cable runs.
I neatly tacked the cables either at the side of the joists or on
top of the joists (where no one will step). Is this acceptable
according to the regulations?

No, unless someone else knows different

--
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kaiser Sose" wrote in message
Guys,
Do such cable runs require to be contained in trunking when in the attic?
I have just installed some security lights which required quite a few
cable runs.
I neatly tacked the cables either at the side of the joists or on top of
the joists (where no one will step). Is this acceptable according to the
regulations?

if crossing the joists unlikely to meet the support requirements unless your
joists are very close together. You will find the details on the tlc-direct
website if you look.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

zaax wrote:

Kaiser Sose wrote:

Guys,
Do such cable runs require to be contained in trunking when in the
attic? I have just installed some security lights which required
quite a few cable runs.
I neatly tacked the cables either at the side of the joists or on
top of the joists (where no one will step). Is this acceptable
according to the regulations?

No, unless someone else knows different

Just to add to this. If they cross an aerial cable, a gas or water pipe
there needs to be protection to stop mechanical wear.

--
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:57:14 UTC, Geo
wrote:

What sort of protection is required? I have some network cables under the floor
and may be adding a couple of 2.5mm cables which will cross them. I suppose a
small clearance loop is not good enough (?) but are we talking (say) threading a
few inches of plastic conduit at the xover or something more substantial. Or is
it just a problem in lofts where someone may step on it at the critical point?

I use plastic conduit!

http://www.diybanter.com

Surface mounted cable runs Darren UK diy 1 May 31st 06 10:21 AM
Surface mounted cable runs Darren UK diy 8 May 30th 06 12:05 AM
Detecting Coax Cable Runs Rusht Limpalless Home Repair 0 January 22nd 06 02:49 AM
Cable runs Rob Bradley UK diy 5 October 13th 04 06:07 PM
Dryer vent runs up into attic but not outside... Home Repair 15 August 23rd 04 08:45 PM