Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler help please

My in-laws are due to view a property for sale. In their bumph they have
stated that their combi boiler is in the loft, which is just a loft and not
converted, just lagged,

Is this normal? I have not ever come across a combi boiler in the loft
before.

Thanks Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben Short wrote:
My in-laws are due to view a property for sale. In their bumph they have
stated that their combi boiler is in the loft, which is just a loft and
not converted, just lagged,

Is this normal? I have not ever come across a combi boiler in the loft
before.

Yes - the loft is often a convenient location to save space within the
house.

The important things to check would be that it's protected against frost
(but that the loft hasn't simply been left uninsulated to achieve that);
that it's reasonably easy to access eg in case it trips for some reason
and needs resetting; and that there's a satisfactory working environment
for the heating engineer who will service it (ie, he won't need to
balance on ceiling joists and fall through the ceiling).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Ben Short wrote:
My in-laws are due to view a property for sale. In their bumph they have
stated that their combi boiler is in the loft, which is just a loft and
not converted, just lagged,

Is this normal? I have not ever come across a combi boiler in the loft
before.

Yes - the loft is often a convenient location to save space within the
house.

The important things to check would be that it's protected against frost
(but that the loft hasn't simply been left uninsulated to achieve that);
that it's reasonably easy to access eg in case it trips for some reason
and needs resetting; and that there's a satisfactory working environment
for the heating engineer who will service it (ie, he won't need to balance
on ceiling joists and fall through the ceiling).

David

I wish mine was in the loft. Planning to have my replacement put up there if
I can easily comply with the regulations. Why would anyone want one in the
kitchen? Our is in an upstairs airing cupboard - taking up useful storage
space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 21, 8:08*am, "John" wrote:

I wish mine was in the loft. Planning to have my replacement put up there if
I can easily comply with the regulations. Why would anyone want one in the
kitchen? Our is in an upstairs airing cupboard - taking up useful storage
space.- Hide quoted text -

Ours is in half the airing cupboard using up space as well, rather
than in the loft where we were planning to have it. Plumbers arrived,
lots of chin stroking etc - loft was not high enough to take it owing
to flue length, pipework beneath the boiler, problems with the drain
for acidic water etc. If you're planning to put it up there, check
you've got enough height for the boiler you intend to use. Condensors
tend to be bigger (correct me if I'm wrong) - we'd have had no problem
with the tiny powerful thing we had in the last house.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Ours is in half the airing cupboard using up space as well, rather
than in the loft where we were planning to have it. Plumbers arrived,
lots of chin stroking etc - loft was not high enough to take it owing
to flue length, pipework beneath the boiler, problems with the drain
for acidic water etc. If you're planning to put it up there, check
you've got enough height for the boiler you intend to use. Condensors
tend to be bigger (correct me if I'm wrong) - we'd have had no problem
with the tiny powerful thing we had in the last house.

Installing condensing boilers in strange places can be a right pain if
it means you have to go up an extension ladder to dethaw the condensate
drain which the plumber didn't bother to lag. Don't ask me how I know.

With our extension we're planning on putting it at a sensible height in
the utility room - the only problem this time is meeting the rules for
where the flue can emerge...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
David wrote:
Ours is in half the airing cupboard using up space as well, rather
than in the loft where we were planning to have it.

But would it be an airing cupboard without it?

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben Short wrote:
My in-laws are due to view a property for sale. In their bumph they
have stated that their combi boiler is in the loft, which is just a
loft and not converted, just lagged,

Is this normal? I have not ever come across a combi boiler in the loft
before.

Thanks Ben

No probs at all. Ours is in the loft with the condensate drain pipe poking
out through the slates to allow the condensate to flow into the guttering.
This complies with all relevant regs, be they CORGI, building, plumbing or
whatever (otherwise all the relevant bodies would have complained when we
were having all the work done - but they didn't).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 21, 1:05*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
But would it be an airing cupboard without it?

No, it would be the larger wardrobe the missus was counting on and
would have been a sight easier to build - I had to put the "central"
divider between the airing cupboard and the wardrobe 6 inches to the
left of the central door frame to maximise wardrobe space on the
right. I think the technical term is "palaver"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 21, 12:50*pm, Jim wrote:
Installing condensing boilers in strange places can be a right pain if
it means you have to go up an extension ladder to dethaw the condensate
drain which the plumber didn't bother to lag. Don't ask me how I know.

Interesting - the boiler man who came out when the new boiler was a
bit noisy said that a lot of his work in the New Year cold spell had
been frozen up condesate pipes. He said a lot of the problem was
people doing them in 15 mm instead of 22 mm.

david