Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vapour barrier plasterboard ceiling?

I have a bungalow with a very shallow (6 degree) felted roof and an old
sloping ceiling attached to the underneath of the roof timbers. There
is no loft access to most of it.

I am building a new, flat ceiling under the old one (gap of 2 to 20"
between them). I don't think the old ceiling is insulated so I will put
loft insulation over my new ceiling.

Do I need to use vapour-barrier plasterboard to stop condensation
forming in the space above the insulation? There is no ventilation here.
Or is it better to use ordinary board so any moisture can get out?

I am hoping to just paint the plasterboard. Do I need to tape the joins
or just use filler?

I will be putting 9W CFL spotlights in the ceiling. Can one cover a low
energy CFL spot with insulation or should this be avoided to stop it
getting too hot?

Thanks

Roger

Things I have learnt this week: DIY vapour barrier plasterboard Tim S UK diy 6 August 13th 09 11:43 PM
DIY Vapour barrier plasterboard Tim S UK diy 17 July 16th 09 10:40 AM
Quandary regarding bathroom ceiling vapour barrier Mungo Henning UK diy 2 February 24th 08 01:24 AM
Vapour barrier Fergus O'Rourke UK diy 6 September 29th 07 11:02 PM
Vapour barrier TheOldFellow UK diy 1 September 21st 07 03:21 PM