Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Vapour barrier plasterboard ceiling?

On Aug 20, 2:38*pm, Roger Moss "rwm2 [at] rwmoss.gotadsl.co.uk"
wrote:
I have a bungalow with a very shallow (6 degree) felted roof and an old
sloping ceiling attached to the underneath of the roof timbers. *There
is no loft access to most of it.

I am building a new, flat ceiling under the old one (gap of 2 to 20"
between them). *I don't think the old ceiling is insulated so I will put
loft insulation over my new ceiling.

Do I need to use vapour-barrier plasterboard to stop condensation
forming in the space above the insulation? There is no ventilation here.
* Or is it better to use ordinary board so any moisture can get out?

I am hoping to just paint the plasterboard. *Do I need to tape the joins
or just use filler?

I will be putting 9W CFL spotlights in the ceiling. *Can one cover a low
energy CFL spot with insulation or should this be avoided to stop it
getting too hot?

Thanks

Roger

Taping joins with paper tape is a quick and thus cheap method. However
the tape is visible to a degree, filling is much better.

NT