Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat roof

I assume we still have search issues with the Google archive? I can't
believe there are only 4 hits for "flat roof".

My query concerns an extension that I'm considering building, some
time in the future, on the back of my dormer bungalow, to replace a
run of conservatories and porches of varying degrees of dilapidation.
It will be about 12 feet out from the house, by 20 feet along it. My
intention is to have a flat roof (with a fall, obviously), not least
for the purposes of sitting on (therefore, a parapet).

So, a few practical questions, as I get my head round the design of
the thing. Firstly, is it OK to go with joists onto the existing wall
plate at the bottom of the sloping roof of the bungalow (probably
removing the bottom row of tiles), so that the top surface of the flat
roof meets the bottom of the next row of tiles up, and flash up under
the tiles? if so, how far up do I need to flash? Should there be an
upstand between the edge of the sloping roof, and the flat roof (there
are ceiling height issues for the extension that make an upstand
undesirable).

Currently a gutter runs along the bottom of the sloping roof. I was
thinking of doing away with this, rather than have a valley, and
letting the sloping roof drain on to the flat roof, and thence to a
gutter at the outside edge of the flat roof. Is that a conventional
way to do it?

Finally, if I'm thinking of using the roof (officially or
unofficially) as a sitting area, what should I be finishing the roof
with? A rubber system with lightweight roof terrace tiles on top?

Pardon the vagueness of my questions, but I'm just starting to get my
head round a project that I plan to undertake in 2 or 3 years time
(after I've finished renovating the rest of the house!). No doubt more
questons will follow.

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
geraldthehamster wrote:
Finally, if I'm thinking of using the roof (officially or
unofficially) as a sitting area, what should I be finishing the roof
with? A rubber system with lightweight roof terrace tiles on top?

I have a roof terrace which was built some 20 years ago. It's ply on
joists. With a bitumin surface over felt and grp reinforced lightweight
concrete tiles on top. Think they're called promenade tiles. It's had
heavy use and stood up well.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Roof timbers for shallow pitch flat roof robgraham UK diy 2 September 4th 08 10:00 PM
flat roof [email protected] UK diy 11 August 10th 07 09:47 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
Piched roof adjoining neighbour's flat roof Trevor Smith UK diy 3 April 12th 04 10:39 AM