Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flat roof

my flat roof is leaking and needs replacing. i`ve been quoted £800 for
approximately 7metres by 2.5metres but wouldnt mind having a go
myself. does anyone know how much my materials will be and how bigger
job is it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
my flat roof is leaking and needs replacing. i`ve been quoted £800 for
approximately 7metres by 2.5metres but wouldnt mind having a go
myself. does anyone know how much my materials will be and how bigger
job is it?

I know this...

Im assuming its going to need felting & bitumen?

You're best buying the burner and obtaining an small empty 6 kilos calor gas
bottle to get a refill at £10,why an empty bottle because most propane gas
stockist charge £20 for the bottle and gas and the extra £10 is like a
deposite?

The gas lasts quite a long time and is well worth buying the torch rather
than hiring it.

http://tinyurl.com/2ypkxm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
k...

wrote in message
ups.com...
my flat roof is leaking and needs replacing. i`ve been quoted £800 for
approximately 7metres by 2.5metres but wouldnt mind having a go
myself. does anyone know how much my materials will be and how bigger
job is it?

oops! Your FLAT as in (A Flat) not A flat roof as opposed to a sloping roof.
lol

Sorry about that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 8:24�pm, "George" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

k...

wrote in message
oups.com...
my flat roof is leaking and needs replacing. i`ve been quoted £800 for
approximately 7metres by 2.5metres but wouldnt mind having a go
myself. does anyone know how much my materials will be and how bigger
job is it?

oops! Your FLAT as in (A Flat) not A flat roof as opposed to a sloping roof.
lol

Sorry about that.

George
i`ve confused myself now) i live in a house not a flat. the kitchen
extension has a flat roof as opposed to a pitched roof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 9, 8:24?pm, "George" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

k...

wrote in message
oups.com...
my flat roof is leaking and needs replacing. i`ve been quoted 800 for
approximately 7metres by 2.5metres but wouldnt mind having a go
myself. does anyone know how much my materials will be and how bigger
job is it?

oops! Your FLAT as in (A Flat) not A flat roof as opposed to a sloping

roof.
lol

Sorry about that.

George
i`ve confused myself now) i live in a house not a flat. the kitchen
extension has a flat roof as opposed to a pitched roof.

Well I've had a bad day with the local plod and I'm a bit peeved with them.
Anyway see this link what you need to know is at the bottom called...

The installation of an EPDM
http://www.delston.co.uk/joists.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
my flat roof is leaking and needs replacing. i`ve been quoted £800 for
approximately 7metres by 2.5metres but wouldnt mind having a go
myself. does anyone know how much my materials will be and how bigger
job is it?

About £35 m2, boards extra. If you decide to DIY make sure you have a fire
extinguisher. Use torch on felt. 2 layers.Disposal of the old felt !! ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 9 Aug, 21:53, "keith_765" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...
my flat roof is leaking and needs replacing. i`ve been quoted £800 for
approximately 7metres by 2.5metres but wouldnt mind having a go
myself. does anyone know how much my materials will be and how bigger
job is it?

About £35 m2, boards extra. If you decide to DIY make sure you have a fire
extinguisher. Use torch on felt. 2 layers.Disposal of the old felt !! ?.

What about using the new cold fixed felt (self adhesive) or EPDM
rubber? Both these are DIY and require no torches

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:53:43 GMT, "keith_765"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
my flat roof is leaking and needs replacing. i`ve been quoted £800 for
approximately 7metres by 2.5metres but wouldnt mind having a go
myself. does anyone know how much my materials will be and how bigger
job is it?

About £35 m2, boards extra. If you decide to DIY make sure you have a fire
extinguisher. Use torch on felt. 2 layers.Disposal of the old felt !! ?.

2 layers? I used three when I did a bit of flat dormer roof about 20
years ago. The first layer (nailed on to the decking) was perforated
with holes about 1" dia every three or four inches. This ensures that
the underfelt, which is layed over that with bitumen, allows movement
and breathing of the decking without distortion. The top felt
obviously gives mechanical and solar protection.
The bitumen stuff bubbling away in the tar boiler smells wonderful!
Drop a few potatoes into it and leave them for an hour or so. Fish 'em
out and peel off the tar when it sets, and you have a lovely mid-job
meal :-)

The roof still appears to be watertight albeit catching the sun for
most of the day.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

An alternative worth considering.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/project-roofs.html

Flat Roof Fred UK diy 34 January 20th 05 10:58 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM
Piched roof adjoining neighbour's flat roof Trevor Smith UK diy 3 April 12th 04 10:39 AM
Flat Roof Al Home Repair 4 November 13th 03 05:47 AM