Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do you Dysect a Dyson DC05 - its the cylinder type

Got this plea from a nice neighbour this afternoon, so here I am with
her DC05 Absolute. I easily removed the one visible torx screw (needed
an extra long T15 torx bit though), but as expected that didn't help me
any!! I'm loathe to risk wrecking anything by prising of the wrong
plastic bits, anyone done one of these before?

Actually I have a strong suspision its just the mains plug parting
company from the cable, as the cable is on a self-wind reel which is
unwound against years of friction build-up by catching hold of the plug
(molded on of course!) and heaving. There is evidence that the cable has
shifted 3-4mm out of the molding so suspect thats the problem. But
before cutting it off I want to get at the machine end to test
continuity.

Thinks... perhaps I can do that with a needle to pierce the sheathing,
but if its ok i'll still need to get inside the beast for further
investigation.

Oh yes, the fault is that it worked fine this morning but then wouldn't
start.

Ta

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:32:24 +0100, Phil Addison
wrote:

[...]

Done that, the cable/plug is ok, so still need to get inside. The next
suspect is the microswitch operated by stampig on a plastic lever at
ground level, bet that gets quite a bashing. I can hear it clicking so
its not totally wrecked.

BTW, I tested the cable/plug continuity with a non-contact mains
detector, first sending mains down just the line, then just the neutral,
then just the earth - too my surprise the thin cable does indicate earth
continuity even though the machine is (presumably) double insulated.

I applied the 240V line voltage to each wire in turn by virtue of
plugging it into an extension lead from which I had removed the mains
plug and fed in 240V via my "Quicktest" safety connector
http://cpc.farnell.com/cliff-electro...lug/dp/PL10637

The Quicktest has vanished from the Cliff Electronic site so if you
don't have one grab it while CPC still have them - its already gone from
Maplin.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Angle grinder...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Angle grinder...

No it isn't....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Angle grinder!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Addison wrote:
Got this plea from a nice neighbour this afternoon, so here I am with
her DC05 Absolute. I easily removed the one visible torx screw (needed
an extra long T15 torx bit though), but as expected that didn't help me
any!! I'm loathe to risk wrecking anything by prising of the wrong
plastic bits, anyone done one of these before?

How about:

http://www.grosse.is-a-geek.com/diydc05.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:44:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Angle grinder!

wake up at the back!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 01:08:41 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
Got this plea from a nice neighbour this afternoon, so here I am with
her DC05 Absolute. I easily removed the one visible torx screw (needed
an extra long T15 torx bit though), but as expected that didn't help me
any!! I'm loathe to risk wrecking anything by prising of the wrong
plastic bits, anyone done one of these before?

How about:

http://www.grosse.is-a-geek.com/diydc05.html

Thats the one - thank you

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Angle grinder...

No it isn't....

Isn't what?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Angle grinder...

No it isn't....

Isn't what?

A flippant remark following on from a Monty Python comment on another
thread.