Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hotpoint FFA60 fridge/freezer water problem

I have the above FF, from time to time a fair amount of water
accumulates in the fridge. This I assume is water failing to drain from
the Frost Free action. There is a drain hole which I assume is meant to
drain off the water into a dish at the rear bottom of the fridge.
Thinking this might be blocked with grunge I used a length of wire to
clear it. However quite near the bottom is a solid obstruction, it is
too solid to be dirt, I'm wondering if it should be so or if there was
an error when the thing was manufactured,. Any help please?
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:25:59 +0100, Broadback wrote:

However quite near the bottom is a solid obstruction, it is too solid to
be dirt,

Pea? Sweet corn kernel?

Pull the unit out and look at the other end of the pipe it'll end in
a dish on top of the compressor. The waste heat is used to evaporate
the water.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:25:59 +0100, Broadback wrote:

However quite near the bottom is a solid obstruction, it is too solid to
be dirt,

Pea? Sweet corn kernel?

Pull the unit out and look at the other end of the pipe it'll end in
a dish on top of the compressor. The waste heat is used to evaporate
the water.

Maybe a piece of plastic pushed inside the end of the pipe to hold
it in place, which doesn't block the pipe, unless some solids have
gone down and got stuck behind it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:25:59 +0100, Broadback wrote:

However quite near the bottom is a solid obstruction, it is too solid to
be dirt,

Pea? Sweet corn kernel?

Pull the unit out and look at the other end of the pipe it'll end in
a dish on top of the compressor. The waste heat is used to evaporate
the water.

Maybe a piece of plastic pushed inside the end of the pipe to hold
it in place, which doesn't block the pipe, unless some solids have
gone down and got stuck behind it.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it does end as you say, at least there is a
hole there. However I cannot gain access to the bottom of the tube. I am
wondering if there was a fault during manufacture, I've no idea as to
how cure it. :-(

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
[...]

Are you pushing your probe into the dish on the top of the compressor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:48:11 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:25:59 +0100, Broadback wrote:

However quite near the bottom is a solid obstruction, it is too solid to
be dirt,
Pea? Sweet corn kernel?

Pull the unit out and look at the other end of the pipe it'll end in
a dish on top of the compressor. The waste heat is used to evaporate
the water.

Maybe a piece of plastic pushed inside the end of the pipe to hold
it in place, which doesn't block the pipe, unless some solids have
gone down and got stuck behind it.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it does end as you say, at least there is a
hole there. However I cannot gain access to the bottom of the tube. I am
wondering if there was a fault during manufacture, I've no idea as to
how cure it. :-(

Broadback

The water droplets inside the fridge section are simply condensation
that gathers on the interior wall of the fridge.

You didn't say if poking the wire down did clear the tube, and water
now can run down the chute? Also how long was your wire that
'bottomed' when you used it?

I have a similar model (FFA 70P) which also has a rear drain as you
describe. The drain tube is routed inside the body of the lower
freezer so it cannot be examined. IMO, it does not take a direct path
to the dish over the comressor/pump where the water is evaporated. I
also feel an obstruction, which may simply be the a bend in the route.
But the water does drain through mine successfully.

There is also a drain (which is behind a removable cover) from the
lower freezer section of the machine, Water from here is also routed
to the lower dish.

It should also be possible to poke your flexible wire upwards into the
pipe that enters the lower pan, in case that is blocked.

DJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:48:11 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
[...]

Thanks DJ, the wire "bottomed" not far from the exit over the compressor
pump. It is difficult to get a wire from the bottom up, though I will
have a go. Gives me some hope that you also experience an obstruction,
though your water drains satisfactorily. I will find the time to pour a
little water down from the fridge (the freezer never is a problem) and
see what happens.