Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

Default My Builder

Does anyone have experiences of this website? From what i have seen it looks
OK and i would be looking for Plasterers, Joiners etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tom
writes
Does anyone have experiences of this website? From what i have seen it looks
OK and i would be looking for Plasterers, Joiners etc.

Nothing to do with you then ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tom
writes
Does anyone have experiences of this website? From what i have seen it
looks
OK and i would be looking for Plasterers, Joiners etc.

Nothing to do with you then ...

--
geoff

Nope, nothing. I stumbled across it searching google for job estimates. All
i want to know is if anyone had used it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tom
writes
Does anyone have experiences of this website? From what i have seen it
looks
OK and i would be looking for Plasterers, Joiners etc.

Nothing to do with you then ...

--
geoff

Nope, nothing. I stumbled across it searching google for job estimates. All
i want to know is if anyone had used it!

Well I suppose if you were a spammer you would have posted a link to it
so we can see what you are talking about??
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tom
writes
Does anyone have experiences of this website? From what i have seen it
looks
OK and i would be looking for Plasterers, Joiners etc.

Nothing to do with you then ...

--
geoff

Nope, nothing. I stumbled across it searching google for job estimates.
All i want to know is if anyone had used it!

Well I suppose if you were a spammer you would have posted a link to it so
we can see what you are talking about??

Its www.mybuilder.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 21:50:28 +0100, Tom wrote:

nothing. I stumbled across it searching google for job estimates.
All i want to know is if anyone had used it!

Well I suppose if you were a spammer you would have posted a link to it so
we can see what you are talking about??

Its www.mybuilder.com

Looking at my area (S. Northants), some of the 'feedback' looks as if it
migh have been posted by the trader, e.g.:

http://www.mybuilder.com/profile/view/samm_developments
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 11:15*pm, PeterC wrote:

Looking at my area (S. Northants), some of the 'feedback' looks as if it
migh have been posted by the trader, e.g.:

http://www.mybuilder.com/profile/view/samm_developments

Don't see any user feedback from him. Seems their system is like ebay
in that you can only leave feedback when they log a paid transaction.

I can't see it being economical for most tradesmen as you are paying a
lot for 'leads' (£40+vat/quarter) and any leads that work you pay them
5% +vat of the invoice amount. There will be a lot of tyre kickers on
that site or people just fishing for prices. Maybe that explains the
lack of feedback for samm_developments

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Starling wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:15 pm, PeterC wrote:

Looking at my area (S. Northants), some of the 'feedback' looks as
if it migh have been posted by the trader, e.g.:

http://www.mybuilder.com/profile/view/samm_developments

Don't see any user feedback from him. Seems their system is like ebay
in that you can only leave feedback when they log a paid transaction.

I can't see it being economical for most tradesmen as you are paying a
lot for 'leads' (£40+vat/quarter) and any leads that work you pay them
5% +vat of the invoice amount. There will be a lot of tyre kickers on
that site or people just fishing for prices. Maybe that explains the
lack of feedback for samm_developments

Most of these sites are a complete waste of time & a rip off for the
tradesman.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Most of these sites are a complete waste of time & a rip off for the
tradesman.

There's an equivalent kind of service for car repairs, which offer to book
an MOT for you/find the cheapest/etc. But it'll probably end up sending
you somewhere that saves 5 pounds on the MOT but invents 500 quid's worth of
work.

In that kind of field you can't beat recommendation and word of mouth, and I
suspect it's the same for tradesmen. And generally online reviews are a
poor substitute.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Most of these sites are a complete waste of time & a rip off for the
tradesman.

There's an equivalent kind of service for car repairs, which offer to
book an MOT for you/find the cheapest/etc. But it'll probably end up
sending you somewhere that saves 5 pounds on the MOT but invents 500
quid's worth of work.

In that kind of field you can't beat recommendation and word of
mouth, and I suspect it's the same for tradesmen. And generally
online reviews are a poor substitute.

I advertised for a short with a bunch of crooks who promised at least 12
jobs a month. They had an online review section, so I simply asked a few of
my delighted customers to write reviews. If I had a significant number of
unhappy customers I wouldn't have asked them to write reviews would I?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have experiences of this website? From what i have seen it

looks
OK and i would be looking for Plasterers, Joiners etc.

It looks just like a "http://WWW.Confused.Com" for Builders. :-) LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Starling wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:15 pm, PeterC wrote:

Looking at my area (S. Northants), some of the 'feedback' looks as
if it migh have been posted by the trader, e.g.:

http://www.mybuilder.com/profile/view/samm_developments

Don't see any user feedback from him. Seems their system is like ebay
in that you can only leave feedback when they log a paid transaction.

I can't see it being economical for most tradesmen as you are paying
a lot for 'leads' (£40+vat/quarter) and any leads that work you pay
them 5% +vat of the invoice amount. There will be a lot of tyre
kickers on that site or people just fishing for prices. Maybe that
explains the lack of feedback for samm_developments

Most of these sites are a complete waste of time & a rip off for the
tradesman.

Registered as a private punter with a list of typical handyman jobs & got
about 5 replies 'auto' generated, none of which would have been appropriate
or even in my area. Waste of space.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Starling wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:15 pm, PeterC wrote:

[...]

Yesterday I put up a job to fit 2 internal doors - labour only. Prices back
ranged from £70 - £235, and the cheapest guy lived 40 miles away! I think i
have to agree with you Dave, a waste of time! Looks like i will be getting
the tools out this weekend.

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tom
writes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. com...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Starling wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:15 pm, PeterC wrote:

[...]

Why else would you be subscribed to uk.d-i-y ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tom
writes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.com...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Starling wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:15 pm, PeterC wrote:

[...]

Because i have lots of jobs that need doing around the house at the moment
and my least favourite is hanging doors! Also the day job is taking up a lot
of my time at the moment and i would prefer to spend the weekends with the
family! My diy list at the moment is to replace two windows, fit new Toilet
and sink, move washing machine to a detached garage (Burying the cold water
feed under the patio!!). A new central heating system being installed with
the boiler being moved to the other end of the house, thankfully not by me -
plus all the decorating/making good that goes with the above. Its going to
be a busy month.

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tom
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tom
writes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
a.com...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Starling wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:15 pm, PeterC wrote:

[...]

So what are you doing in the afternoon ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tom
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tom
writes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message
ia.com...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Starling wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:15 pm, PeterC wrote:

[...]

Getting nagged by swmbo about when all the work will be done!!

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom wrote:

Because i have lots of jobs that need doing around the house at the
moment SNIP Also the day job is
taking up a lot of my time at the moment and i would prefer to spend
the weekends with the family!

Sounds like you need a handy man :-)

Seriously, you have just described one of my market sectors perfectly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Tom wrote:

Because i have lots of jobs that need doing around the house at the
moment SNIP Also the day job is
taking up a lot of my time at the moment and i would prefer to spend
the weekends with the family!

Sounds like you need a handy man :-)

Seriously, you have just described one of my market sectors perfectly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave, i have looked at your website and you are to far away unfortunately!
However, I have a local handyman that i know well who charges a very
reasonable £20 per hour labour and often throws in "bit and pieces" he has
in the back of his van for free which is a bonus. I think he will install
the new toilet and plumb in the new sink (there is currently no sink in the
WC) and install waste to the outside drain.

Out of interest, today i got a quote to supply and fit a new UPVC front
door, a large kitchen window and WC window from a local trusted window
company. They quoted £900 all in (fittings, making good etc.). As a trade
customer i called a few wholesale window companies for the supply only of
said windows and door all including hardware/cills and the door frame - the
best quote for comparative quality and glass design on the door was £750. I
reckon it would take around a day and a half to replace these items myself
so will probably go with the window company which will also register with
fensa. For the sake of £150 its just not worth the hassle, or am i just
getting old!

Tom

Bob The Builder Davao UK diy 10 March 18th 08 06:16 PM
I Want OUT With My Builder!!! [email protected] Home Repair 46 December 25th 07 04:53 AM
builder & covenants win Home Ownership 4 October 6th 06 07:05 PM
Suspicious about a builder [email protected] UK diy 25 July 30th 05 12:14 AM
what to buy a builder??? jb UK diy 12 February 5th 04 10:17 PM