Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loss of Power Alarm

I want to fit a 'loss of power alarm' to my freezer but am unable to
find a supplier. I know they are not that difficult to cobble
together but prefer to buy a device.

Is anyone aware of a supplier for such a device. I would think they
would be comon place but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I've tried Maplins but there doesn't seem to be anything shoiwn on
their online catalogue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward W. Thompson wrote:

I want to fit a 'loss of power alarm' to my freezer but am unable to
find a supplier.

They tend to work on raised temperature, rather than loss of power, but
Google seems to find hundreds, e.g

http://www.fridge-freezer-alarm.co.uk/index.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Edward W. Thompson wrote:

I want to fit a 'loss of power alarm' to my freezer but am unable to
find a supplier.

They tend to work on raised temperature, rather than loss of power, but

The ideal would be both. Loss of power tells you the freezer has got
so many hours to go before you're in trouble, and raised temperature
tells you that you are in trouble (even if the power's still there).

Google seems to find hundreds, e.g

http://www.fridge-freezer-alarm.co.uk/index.htm

Make that all three - loss of power, raised temperature, and door
open too long... (Didn't think of fridge/freezer door open too long
in my home automation alarm, but neither has it happened yet;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:45:50 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Edward W. Thompson wrote:

I want to fit a 'loss of power alarm' to my freezer but am unable to
find a supplier.

They tend to work on raised temperature, rather than loss of power, but
Google seems to find hundreds, e.g

http://www.fridge-freezer-alarm.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks for your reply, however, I am looking for a 'loss of power
alarm' not a door opening alarm or temperature alarm. For some
peculiar reason I can't find what I want on Google or any other search
site. The alarm of the Maplin site seems expensive and I can't access
details of it. Perhaps a trip to the store is required :-).

The circuit diagrams of a suitable alarm is available on Google,
perhaps it is time to get out the soldering iron!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Edward W. Thompson wrote:

I want to fit a 'loss of power alarm' to my freezer but am unable to
find a supplier.

They tend to work on raised temperature, rather than loss of power, but
Google seems to find hundreds, e.g

http://www.fridge-freezer-alarm.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks for your reply, however, I am looking for a 'loss of power
alarm' not a door opening alarm or temperature alarm. For some
peculiar reason I can't find what I want on Google or any other search
site. The alarm of the Maplin site seems expensive and I can't access
details of it. Perhaps a trip to the store is required :-).

The circuit diagrams of a suitable alarm is available on Google,
perhaps it is time to get out the soldering iron!

I don't know these days, but years ago you could buy a plug with a loss of
power alarm built in and you simply replaced the freezer plug with it. A
quick google shows a number of plug in devices (mainly American) for
putting in the adjacent socket, but not the actual freezer one - my parents
used to have one of the wire on ones years ago and it was very useful, as
many things were plugged into the adjacent socket in the garage and on a
number of occasions the wrong socket was switched off!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The circuit diagrams of a suitable alarm is available on Google,
perhaps it is time to get out the soldering iron!

There are plenty around but prices seem to start at about £50 so
warming up the soldering iron seems to be the best solution. A very
simple one can be made from a DC PSU (old phone chargers are ideal as
they are quite efficient switched mode units) holding a relay on with
a battery and buzzer connected to the relay normally closed contacts.