Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loss of Power..

Hello, I have lost power to certain outlets in my house, not sure why.
It appears the first outlet that comes from the circuit box is a GFI in
my basement. The outlet has not been tripped and I reset it and it is
still not working. My assumption is that since its the first outlet
coming from the breaker box which feeds to the outlets that are not
working (Pretty sure). Is it possible for a GFI outlet to go bad? Or
is it it possible for the breaker switch within the main breaker box
goes bad (Its not tripped). I guess my thought is to first disconnect
the GFI (The first outlet off the main breaker box) to see if there is
power getting there. I know it sounds like a reach, but my assumption
is that a GFI can go bad? Can a breaker switch go bad?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The wiring was done by a contractor when the house was built 7 years
ago. If I remember right, I have seen some of the outlets that were
done had those "quick Connects" which I assume you mean are the ones
that they just push in. So, I should disconnect the GFI, and test the
wire to make sure its hot still. If its still HOT, then exchange the
GFI outlet with a new one? I guess I had no idea a GFI outlet can go
"Bad". If its not hot, then head towards the breaker box, pull the
breaker switch (carefully with the main switch OFF) and change it?

Does this sound like the correct kind of approach?

Thanks for your reply!

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

GFCI can definately go bad, that is precisely why they have a test button.
You should not be able to test or reset it if it is not powered. Your
solution as you described it sounds appropriate.

You can also test the breaker with your meter before pulling it. Just probe
the neutral bar and the screw on the breaker and toggle the switch to verify
it works.

The outlet might start working as soon as you touch the loose wire in the
press fit (quick connect) connection. Don't use it like that, replace it
anyway with the side terminals used.

ups.com...