Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default printer fuse

Hello,

I bought a cheap Samsung laser printer and bought some refills off a
well known auction site.

Apparently the printer signals that he toner is low by blowing a fuse.
Seems a funny way to do things to me, but what would I know? Anyway, I
was sent a couple of fuses but I've lost them! The blown fuse says "F
63mA L 250V P". I can recognise the 63 milliAmps and 250 Volts but I
am unsure what the F, L, and P signify?

Which ones do I need to order?

BTW can you overfill the toner as I think mine is almost to the
stopper.

It is only a black and white printer used for domestic use, in other
words the occasional letter. I used to have a photo inkjet but got fed
up with the nozzles drying and using cartridges exclusively for
cleaning! I know it is cheaper to get photos printed by photo
companies but have colour lasers dropped to low prices yet? I see
there are some cheap colour lasers but are they good enough to print
the occasional photo on glossy paper?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fred
writes
Hello,

I bought a cheap Samsung laser printer and bought some refills off a
well known auction site.

Apparently the printer signals that he toner is low by blowing a fuse.
Seems a funny way to do things to me, but what would I know? Anyway, I
was sent a couple of fuses but I've lost them! The blown fuse says "F
63mA L 250V P". I can recognise the 63 milliAmps and 250 Volts but I
am unsure what the F, L, and P signify?

63mA Fast blow

really, its not that important

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:30:18 +0100, Fred wrote:

I know it is cheaper to get photos printed by photo companies but have
colour lasers dropped to low prices yet? I see there are some cheap
colour lasers but are they good enough to print the occasional photo on
glossy paper?

Just got a HP CP1515n about £180. Can't say I'm as pleased with it as
the LJ1200 (monochrome laser) that it replaced. It works but is
finickity, sometimes won't notice you've shoved a single sheet into
the slot and still picks from the main tray or refuses to acknowledge
that it has any paper despite having drawn the sheet in a little...
It's also slower but that isn't a great issue really. I got it mainly
as No.1 Daughter likes to do her home work in colour and the Epson
inkjet was unreliable, low use = blocked jets = lots of cleaning = 10
pages/cartridge = big dent in wallet and the T008 and T007 cartridges
are becoming scarce.

Laser glossy paper (at least the HP stuff) isn't as glossy as inkjet
glossy paper. Photo printing quality is OK but not up to the old
Epson Stylus Color 890. That might be a driver thing as the Epson
could also produce similar quality output is not talked to nicely.
Any photo that I want a really quality print from will be sent to
Photobox, as before even though the Epson could do a pretty could
job.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
news
.... I see
there are some cheap colour lasers but are they good enough to print
the occasional photo on glossy paper?

It depends how easily pleased you are by the results. Colour lasers print in
four colours - black, cyan, magenta and yellow. Bottom end inkjet photo
printers add two more colours light magenta and light cyan. Better inkjet
photo printers add two or three more colours, which vary according to the
maker.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
[...]

Colour laser printers have dropped in price over the last few years, to
about just over £100-00. The thing to look out for though, is the cost
of the toner.

Don't bother using glossy paper for photos, after the paper comes out of
the printer, the toner is a matt finish. They do, however, make a very
good copy of £5-00, £10-00 and £20-00 notes that would pass in a dark
and busy bar, but I know nothing of this.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:30:18 +0100, Fred wrote:

It is only a black and white printer used for domestic use, in other
words the occasional letter. I used to have a photo inkjet but got fed
up with the nozzles drying and using cartridges exclusively for
cleaning! I know it is cheaper to get photos printed by photo companies
but have colour lasers dropped to low prices yet? I see there are some
cheap colour lasers but are they good enough to print the occasional
photo on glossy paper?

I just helped a friend set up a Canon IP4600 inkjet and an HP Color
LaserJet 2050. The idea was that he'd do top quality photo prints with
the inkjet and use the laser for everything else.

When he saw the quality of the laser pictures he said he wished he hadn't
bought the inkjet...

They aren't actually *that* good, but I'd say the laser pictures were
about the same as you would have got from an older inkjet, say an Epson
C62. The difference only really showed up in the fine detail when lots of
similar colours were in use, such as leaves on bushes.

As part of it I also looked up continuous feed setups for inkjets - it's
a lot cheaper than I thought - for the price of two or three full sets of
cartridges you get the full kit and way more ink, after that you can top
up for ridiculously small amounts of money.

The only drawbacks I can see are that you have to have the ink bottles
and pipes outside the printer (but they are neatly styled) and that I
haven't tried it. I have no idea how messy the whole process could be...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]

You can't do that with a lot of modern printers, they recognise a currency
note (not just UK) and refuse to print it & a message appears on screen
telling you so.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 07:45:57 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]

I recently scanned the V5c for my kit-car before sending the original off
for a change of colour to be noted and was surprised when the blue block on
the front came out as four different colours - the bottom third orange and
the top two thirds divided into three vertical bands of blue, green and
magenta. I don't know if this is a case of the software recognising the V5c
or some sort of trick printing in the first place.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Hello,

I bought a cheap Samsung laser printer and bought some refills off a
well known auction site.

snip
It is only a black and white printer used for domestic use, in other
words the occasional letter. I used to have a photo inkjet but got fed
up with the nozzles drying and using cartridges exclusively for
cleaning! I know it is cheaper to get photos printed by photo
companies but have colour lasers dropped to low prices yet? I see
there are some cheap colour lasers but are they good enough to print
the occasional photo on glossy paper?

TIA

I have a Xerox 6110n that I bought last year as the house printer, both
SWMBO and I do a lot of posters and publications for the local village
and churches. I don't do photos on it, but it's OK for photos in
posters - where first impressions are all that matters. We love it,
even though it means we spend more on toner than we did on ink - that's
because we like the results, so do more. You use all the toner too
(well almost all) and there are no jets to block, so if you don't use
it for three weeks it still works.

I will never buy another inkjet printer now. The cost of a photo
printed in Boots is so low, and you can edit your pics onto a USB stick
first, etc, etc.. and for everything else the colour laser is king.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:14:18 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

As part of it I also looked up continuous feed setups for inkjets - it's
a lot cheaper than I thought - for the price of two or three full sets of
cartridges you get the full kit and way more ink, after that you can top
up for ridiculously small amounts of money.

The only drawbacks I can see are that you have to have the ink bottles
and pipes outside the printer (but they are neatly styled) and that I
haven't tried it. I have no idea how messy the whole process could be...

I've used one for about two years on an HP D7160. The whole process
is fairly simple but undoubtedly has the potential for significant
mess. I put the ink reservoirs in a plastic container just in case -
and the black did overflow once so that was good move! Overall its
been very reliable and vastly cheaper than cartridges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
I bought a cheap Samsung laser printer and bought some refills off a
well known auction site.

Apparently the printer signals that he toner is low by blowing a fuse.
Seems a funny way to do things to me, but what would I know? Anyway, I
was sent a couple of fuses but I've lost them! The blown fuse says "F
63mA L 250V P". I can recognise the 63 milliAmps and 250 Volts but I
am unsure what the F, L, and P signify?

That's interesting. Is it a ML-2400 and where's the fuse situated? I've
just refilled mine and would like to get rid of that flashing red LED.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
I've used one for about two years on an HP D7160. The whole process
is fairly simple but undoubtedly has the potential for significant
mess. I put the ink reservoirs in a plastic container just in case -
and the black did overflow once so that was good move! Overall its
been very reliable and vastly cheaper than cartridges.

Where do you buy such kits? I've got a decent Cannon inkjet printer which
is simply too expensive to run using ordinary carts. I only occasionally
need to print in colour. But could put it in the workshop where the extra
gear wouldn't be a problem.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

[...]

I discovered that my local photo processing shop now will take digital
input and turn it into whatever photo size you want..on proper
photgraphic media. Lovely results. WAY better than a laser printer!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:02:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Where do you buy such kits? I've got a decent Cannon inkjet printer which
is simply too expensive to run using ordinary carts. I only occasionally
need to print in colour. But could put it in the workshop where the extra
gear wouldn't be a problem.

I recently installed one on a Canon Pixma ip4500. I was dubious, but
the kit was cheap (and so was a replacement printer).

It wasn't completely straightforward. The later model Canons have
added some internal plastic lugs seeming specifically designed to
prevent the feeding tubes being installed. Some surgery using a
cutting wheel on a Dremel was required. Chips have to be transferred
from a set of "official" cartridges. The printer displays an alarming
series of warning messages telling you you're now on your own as far
as quality and warranty are concerned.

But, rather to my surprise, it works very well indeed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
I've used one for about two years on an HP D7160. The whole process
is fairly simple but undoubtedly has the potential for significant
mess. I put the ink reservoirs in a plastic container just in case -
and the black did overflow once so that was good move! Overall its
been very reliable and vastly cheaper than cartridges.

Where do you buy such kits? I've got a decent Cannon inkjet printer which
is simply too expensive to run using ordinary carts. I only occasionally
need to print in colour. But could put it in the workshop where the extra
gear wouldn't be a problem.

If your throughput is small ("I only occasionally need to print in
colour"), then converting to external ink reservoirs isn't worth it,
since you'll probably get head clogging before you use up one ink tank.
You'll use more ink in head cleaning cycles than printing, which is most
likely happening now. Using large supply tanks, may also result in the
cleaning reservoirs getting full.

Looking at colour lasers is a better route, IMO, as they're fine for
colour prints of up to picture draft quality before using the likes of
Snapfish for the final print where needed. Lasers don't suffer from
head clogging either, but they don't like cold and damp when unpowered.

--
John W
I you really want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-03, TheOldFellow wrote:

I will never buy another inkjet printer now.

Having thrown away 2, I couldn't agree more. They're the spawn of the devil.

I tend to avoid them, but if one must have an inkjet then IMO the only
type to have are Kodak. Well built, inexpensive to buy (they do cost
slightly more than the competition, but not a lot more) and the
consumables costs are reasonable. Being Kodak the print quality for
photos is excellent, and I've used them in a very demanding work context
without problems.

However for day to day printers I use Xerox. There's really no
substitute for proper PostScript and a printer with a built-in print
server. They cost about £400 each which isn't excessive for a proper
workhorse, run day in day out without a flaw and can hit 30ppm when
necessary. All of the "proper" Xerox printers seem to do duplex as
standard. The only headache with them is the weight - they need two
people to move them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:02:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Where do you buy such kits?

eBay seems to be the popular place, search for "continuous ink". I'm
pretty sure I got mine from Inkjet Revolution (eBay seller
"2005imports")
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Inkjet...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Various sellers seem to aim at different printer manufacturers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 11:20:41 +0100, John Weston wrote:

Looking at colour lasers is a better route, IMO, as they're fine for
colour prints of up to picture draft quality before using the likes of
Snapfish for the final print where needed.

I wouldn't touch Snapfish with a barge pole. Had some prints done by
them and they took over a week to come, the colours where rather too
garish and the bottom edge of every print was smeared. These where
the freebies you get when signing up.

Compared to Photobox who are speedy (almost next day) and good,
undamged, quality you know who I use... Photobox also send you a
calibration print with your first order the same image you can
download from their website and view on screen to check your monitors
alignment. Nothing like that from Snapfish that I am aware of.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:57:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I've just refilled mine and would like to get rid of that flashing red LED.

I use bluetack.

--
Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

I wouldn't touch Snapfish with a barge pole. Had some prints done by
them and they took over a week to come, the colours where rather too
garish and the bottom edge of every print was smeared. These where
the freebies you get when signing up.

Compared to Photobox who are speedy (almost next day) and good,
undamged, quality you know who I use... Photobox also send you a
calibration print with your first order the same image you can
download from their website and view on screen to check your monitors
alignment. Nothing like that from Snapfish that I am aware of.

I've only used them when I could pick up the prints from a local Jessops
and it looked like they'd been done using their in-store equipment.
That's why I used the term "the likes of Snapfish" Thanks for the heads-
up.
--
John W
I you really want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave wrote:
Don't bother using glossy paper for photos, after the paper comes out
of the printer, the toner is a matt finish. They do, however, make a
very good copy of £5-00, £10-00 and £20-00 notes that would pass in a
dark and busy bar, but I know nothing of this.

You can't do that with a lot of modern printers, they recognise a currency
note (not just UK) and refuse to print it & a message appears on screen
telling you so.

Of the three HP printers conected to my computer (1018, 2550 and the
photosmart D7360) only the photsmart was smart enough to spot what I was
doing. :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 20:47:25 +0100, geoff wrote:

63mA Fast blow

Is that what the "F" stands for?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:06:48 +0100, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

It depends how easily pleased you are by the results.

There's the catch: I won't know until I've bought one.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:14:18 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

As part of it I also looked up continuous feed setups for inkjets - it's
a lot cheaper than I thought - for the price of two or three full sets of
cartridges you get the full kit and way more ink, after that you can top
up for ridiculously small amounts of money.

The only drawbacks I can see are that you have to have the ink bottles
and pipes outside the printer (but they are neatly styled) and that I
haven't tried it.

I wonder why they can't manufacturer a compartment in the printer to
hold the bottles? Could get messy if you knock them over or are they
sealed?

My worry would be that the nozzles would still be susceptible to
blocking if the printer was not in constant use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fred
writes
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:14:18 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

As part of it I also looked up continuous feed setups for inkjets - it's
a lot cheaper than I thought - for the price of two or three full sets of
cartridges you get the full kit and way more ink, after that you can top
up for ridiculously small amounts of money.

The only drawbacks I can see are that you have to have the ink bottles
and pipes outside the printer (but they are neatly styled) and that I
haven't tried it.

I wonder why they can't manufacturer a compartment in the printer to
hold the bottles?

Where would the profit be in doing that ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

That's interesting. Is it a ML-2400 and where's the fuse situated? I've
just refilled mine and would like to get rid of that flashing red LED.

It's a ML2510. On mine you pull the toner cartridge out of the printer
and the fuse is on the top left hand corner of the cartridge; there is
no need to remove any covers or anything to see it.

I am puzzled how and why they use a fuse to measure how much is left.
How does running low blow the fuse? My next question would be why
don't they use something that would give the actual level and not need
replacing every time but I guess the answer to that is cost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
news
[...]

Where does it say in the user guide or any Samsung documentation that it
blows a fuse?

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...de_English.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fred
writes
wrote:

That's interesting. Is it a ML-2400 and where's the fuse situated? I've
just refilled mine and would like to get rid of that flashing red LED.

It's a ML2510. On mine you pull the toner cartridge out of the printer
and the fuse is on the top left hand corner of the cartridge; there is
no need to remove any covers or anything to see it.

I am puzzled how and why they use a fuse to measure how much is left.
How does running low blow the fuse?

If its like my Epson C1000, then the printer blows the fuse on insertion
so that it knows that its a new cartridge

It then sticks its software finger in the air and guestimates how much
toner has been used

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I recently scanned the V5c for my kit-car before sending the original off
for a change of colour to be noted and was surprised when the blue block on
the front came out as four different colours - the bottom third orange and
the top two thirds divided into three vertical bands of blue, green and
magenta. I don't know if this is a case of the software recognising the V5c
or some sort of trick printing in the first place.

SteveW

Things such as GCSE/GCE exam certificates apparently do similar
things, at least on photocopiers. Words like COPY appear magically.
Something complex like moire patterns? It's amazing the lengths people
will go to to produce fakes (for the exam boards to do these
interventions)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
I've used one for about two years on an HP D7160. The whole process
is fairly simple but undoubtedly has the potential for significant
mess. I put the ink reservoirs in a plastic container just in case -
and the black did overflow once so that was good move! Overall its
been very reliable and vastly cheaper than cartridges.

Where do you buy such kits? I've got a decent Cannon inkjet printer which
is simply too expensive to run using ordinary carts. I only occasionally
need to print in colour. But could put it in the workshop where the extra
gear wouldn't be a problem.

I've seen a number of traders doing them at computer fairs.
Not paid much attention though, as not in the market for one.

I assumed they were for high volume users, and you'd probably
go for refilling cartridges otherwise?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 3, 11:01*pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

[...]

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...80926100848859...

Why would it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
On Aug 3, 11:01*pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

[...]

In the case of the Epson C1000, it tells the printer that it is a new
cartridge

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 23:01:26 +0100, "Fredxx" wrote:

Where does it say in the user guide or any Samsung documentation that it
blows a fuse?

I don't know, I didn't RTFM

I read a non-Samsung web site about refilling and it mentioned some
printers would complain that the toner was low even after being
refilled because a fuse was used to "sense" how much toner was left.
When I bought some toner from ebay, I was sent some fuses which I have
now lost!

I can't remember which site that was but I would have foun dit through
google originally.

Thinking about it, I doubt Samsung would tell you. After all, it is
not in their interests that you do not replace the fuse and refill
with cheap toner. Also they would argue that you don't need to know
about the electronics inside and how it works as long as it prints the
page your computer sends it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 8:18*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
, Man
at B&Q writes

On Aug 3, 11:01*pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

[...]

I know that. Try reading the questions again.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
On Aug 4, 8:18*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
, Man
at B&Q writes

On Aug 3, 11:01*pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

[...]

The question "Why would it? " ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 8:34*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
, Man
at B&Q writes

On Aug 4, 8:18*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
, Man
at B&Q writes

On Aug 3, 11:01*pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, in response to "Where does it say in the user guide ...".

The manufacturer is only interested in providing an out of ink
indication, why would they document the working of it?

Easy, really.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 8:34 pm, geoff wrote:
In message
, Man
at B&Q writes

Where does it say in the user guide or any Samsung documentation
that it
blows a fuse?

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...80926100848859...

Why would it?

In the case of the Epson C1000, it tells the printer that it is a new
cartridge

I know that. Try reading the questions again.

The question "Why would it? " ?

--
geoff

Yes, in response to "Where does it say in the user guide ...".

The manufacturer is only interested in providing an out of ink
indication, why would they document the working of it?

Easy, really.

Because there are cheaper and more effective ways of indicating the toner is
empty. A blown fuse is hardly an indicator!