Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strimmer - disappearing line end

I am finding that whenever my strimmer line breaks the end seems to have
welded itself to itself in the inside of the roll in the drum and I end up
using wire cutters to create a new end so that I can unwind it. Has anyone
else had this problem and found a remedy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:49:47 +0100, John wrote:

I am finding that whenever my strimmer line breaks the end seems to have
welded itself to itself in the inside of the roll in the drum and I end up
using wire cutters to create a new end so that I can unwind it. Has anyone
else had this problem and found a remedy?

TBH, I know what you mean, and have had it happen many a time on small
electric trimmer - along with the base (the bit that you bash to in
theory eject more line) wearing through very quickly.

My current petrol-powered trimmer seems a lot better - heavier
construction, and thicker line too - it'll chew through a lot more
before it breaks, and when it does it seems to do so by fraying
through an inch or so on the outside of the drum, rather than
disappearing up its own backside.

Not exactly enough for a good statistical analysis, but I do suspect that
the larger / more expensive kit is a bit better engineered.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am finding that whenever my strimmer line breaks the end seems to have
welded itself to itself in the inside of the roll in the drum and I end up
using wire cutters to create a new end so that I can unwind it. Has anyone
else had this problem...

I did many years ago on a Flymo.

...and found a remedy?

My rememdy was to throw the f*cking thing in the bin before I did
damage to anything else in angry frustration after spending at least
three times as much time dismantling the f*cking thing than using it !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:49:47 +0100, John wrote:

I am finding that whenever my strimmer line breaks the end seems to have
welded itself to itself in the inside of the roll in the drum and I end up
using wire cutters to create a new end so that I can unwind it. Has anyone
else had this problem and found a remedy?

We have a Bosch battery strimmer (mainly so that we can tidy up around my
in-laws' grave, although we do use it at home rather than mess about
running a cable out for the mains one) and rather than line, it has a clip
on plastic blade that is much harder wearing. When it does eventually go,
the blade can simply be pulled off and a replacement from the holder on the
handle clipped on. At the rate we're going, the bag of blades that we
bought for a fiver or so will outlast the strimmer itself - if not us!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:

Not exactly enough for a good statistical analysis, but I do suspect that
the larger / more expensive kit is a bit better engineered.

Well in respect of the line welding to itself, no. I've got a variety of
brush cutters on the farm. All of the ones using plastic line suffer
from this problem, but it seems to be a problem with the line, rather
than the strimmer. I used some square section line and that didn't have
the problem.

TBH it's so bloody annoying that I tend to use the one "strimmer" that
uses wire, rather than a plastic line, more often than the others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 July, 17:49, "John" wrote:
I am finding that whenever my strimmer line breaks the end seems to have
welded itself to itself in the inside of the roll

Don't use Black & Decker line. Better makes of line don't do this,
unless you really kink them.

Square line is great for wet grass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules explained on 31/07/2009 :
Not exactly enough for a good statistical analysis, but I do suspect that
the larger / more expensive kit is a bit better engineered.

My (new this year) petrol strimmer has caused me lots of bother due to
the disappearing line problem. It is the twin line type and uses 2.4mm
line. It really is tricky to pull apart to get the lines out and does
cause endless frustration. Some one suggested tapping the auto-feed on
the ground regularly, rather than waiting until the lines break. That
help considerably, but I have to remember to actually do it.

It is a large (3m long), quite heavy unit and getting to the head is a
means a lot of faffing about, getting someone to steady it, to get the
head off.

I'm actually looking for a spare head, so that I can simply swap the
head if the line is lost inside.

I have not found this heavy duty unit any less prone to the problem
than my small electric strimmer.

I keep intending to have a word with the professionals - the council
employees I often see using these strimmers, to see if they have any
tips.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"John" writes:
I am finding that whenever my strimmer line breaks the end seems to have
welded itself to itself in the inside of the roll in the drum and I end up
using wire cutters to create a new end so that I can unwind it. Has anyone
else had this problem and found a remedy?

Strange. I bought a strimmer for about £12 from Aldi, and I thought
it probably had just about every possible design fault, but they seem
to have managed to avoid this one!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I had a crappy flymo electric. Did this all the time. Now I have a
petrol one with a much better head. No sharp edges where the cord exits.
I wind the spool myself with heavy duty nylon. Jus bump it a few times
when its obviously a bit low on cut.

Never ever had the cord snap off completely, nor weld.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2009 01:28 dave wrote:

We bought a Bosch strimmer (first one ever) only a week ago. The line
disappeared inside the spool after a few minutes use. Took it apart
and it worked ok for another 5 mins then the same again.

This happened repeatedly on a ~£20 Bosch. I returned it to Bosch for
repair and they sent me a new one. I took the new one back to the shop
and got a Flymo Power Trim 300.

Works well and no constant broken line problems. Touch wood, cross
fingers etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :
I had a crappy flymo electric. Did this all the time. Now I have a petrol one
with a much better head. No sharp edges where the cord exits. I wind the
spool myself with heavy duty nylon. Jus bump it a few times when its
obviously a bit low on cut.

Never ever had the cord snap off completely, nor weld.

Mine has two metal sleeves (furrals) where the two lines exit. I don't
think I have come across having the line weld, though it has jammed up
inside due to knots. I think there must be some technique, which I have
yet to find, to avoid the line breaking off inside the head.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 01/08/2009 01:28 dave wrote:

We bought a Bosch strimmer (first one ever) only a week ago. The line
disappeared inside the spool after a few minutes use. Took it apart
and it worked ok for another 5 mins then the same again.

This happened repeatedly on a ~£20 Bosch. I returned it to Bosch for
repair and they sent me a new one. I took the new one back to the shop
and got a Flymo Power Trim 300.

Works well and no constant broken line problems. Touch wood, cross
fingers etc...

I've been strimming all afternoon..no breaks. Then the line ran out.
Guess what. Cast metal curved guides for the exit from the hub. No
stress risers!

That's what you pay for in a good one. Or use a needle file on the cheapo..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"John" writes:
I am finding that whenever my strimmer line breaks the end seems to have
welded itself to itself in the inside of the roll in the drum and I end
up
using wire cutters to create a new end so that I can unwind it. Has
anyone
else had this problem and found a remedy?

Strange. I bought a strimmer for about £12 from Aldi, and I thought
it probably had just about every possible design fault, but they seem
to have managed to avoid this one!

--
Andrew Gabriel

Surely a strimmer is only a handle and a motor spinning a hub of nylon cord.
So I can't see how - brand name, 'quality' or design can (objectively)
really have an effect.. I can believe the line properties (if so, what
should I look out for (square section)). Am I to think that the ferrule is
the cause of the problem - if so - any ideas on what aspect of the ferrule
causes the problem? However, I suppose speed might be a factor.

However, I am encouraged that others have found the same problem. I am
wondering if a spray of Mr Sheen onto the reel might prevent welding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" writes:
[...]

The ferrules are very important stop snapping.

Welding is all about crap cord.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I am finding that whenever my strimmer line breaks the end seems to have
welded itself to itself in the inside of the roll in the drum and I end up
using wire cutters to create a new end so that I can unwind it. Has anyone
else had this problem and found a remedy?

Ok, so everyone assumes more revs means more cutting power and a quicker
cut.
Almost correct.
Flat out the head produces heat from friction with the grass and earth. This
weakens the cord at the pivot point at the exit from the head.
Given that all plastics have a melt/fusion point it's common sense to reduce
the fatigue and heat problem or suffer the consequences.

My Ryobi strimmer head is an auto feed unit, rarely suffers from complete
cord breakage and usually needs sorting out when it's actually run out of
line.

Answer:
I set the unit to run at a high tickover approx a third the max revs of the
machine and take more time doing the job. Only use the flat out full on revs
intermittently for heavy odd weed etc then reduce to your high tickover and
carry on
This produces just as accurate and effective cut, also allows better control
and best of all you can carefully strim chain link fence that has weeds
growing up it without fear of snatch or line loss.

If you don't believe me try it........it does work