Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strimmer - disappearing line end

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jules explained on 31/07/2009 :
Not exactly enough for a good statistical analysis, but I do suspect that
the larger / more expensive kit is a bit better engineered.

My (new this year) petrol strimmer has caused me lots of bother due to
the disappearing line problem. It is the twin line type and uses 2.4mm
line. It really is tricky to pull apart to get the lines out and does
cause endless frustration. Some one suggested tapping the auto-feed on
the ground regularly, rather than waiting until the lines break. That
help considerably, but I have to remember to actually do it.

It is a large (3m long), quite heavy unit and getting to the head is a
means a lot of faffing about, getting someone to steady it, to get the
head off.

I'm actually looking for a spare head, so that I can simply swap the
head if the line is lost inside.

I have not found this heavy duty unit any less prone to the problem than
my small electric strimmer.

I keep intending to have a word with the professionals - the council
employees I often see using these strimmers, to see if they have any tips.

I had a crappy flymo electric. Did this all the time. Now I have a
petrol one with a much better head. No sharp edges where the cord exits.
I wind the spool myself with heavy duty nylon. Jus bump it a few times
when its obviously a bit low on cut.

Never ever had the cord snap off completely, nor weld.