Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default show pump in the loft

Hello all and thanks for reading and for any replies in advance.

I have an old showferorce turbo shower pump installed in the loft for
a mixer shower which ceased up sometime ago and now the seals have
gone and it started to drip.

I went out and bought what I thought and advised was pretty much like
for like a Bristan varispeed water pump 50. I installed it onto the
same place using the same fitting and have 2 problems.

The first one being that it says no to install in the loft due to the
fact it could freeze. Is this a real problem, if it was wouldnt I of
had issues with the showerforce one which was there when I moved in.

Also the pump does not work anyway, i.e no water at all and the pump
does not kick in. I have test the voltage and it looks ok. Could this
be because it is installed in the wrong place. I.e it about 1 foot
below the cold water tank in the loft and above the hot water cylinder
in the airing cupboard. But again wouldnt this of been an issue with
the old one also.

Thanks again in advance for any advice.

Spence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sbb wrote:
[...]

Have you got any water flow under gravity? Could well be an air lock and
with only 1' head this is not likely to clear itself. Connect a mains
pressure hose to the shower outlet (usually 1/2" bsp) and drive any air
back into the header tank.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
sbb wrote:
Also the pump does not work anyway, i.e no water at all and the pump
does not kick in. I have test the voltage and it looks ok. Could this
be because it is installed in the wrong place. I.e it about 1 foot
below the cold water tank in the loft and above the hot water cylinder
in the airing cupboard. But again wouldnt this of been an issue with
the old one also.

Is there not a spec with it for minimum head? Negative head pumps are
available for where needed.

IMHO, there's only one make worth considering for a decent life - Stuart
Turner.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sbb wrote:

I have an old showferorce turbo shower pump installed in the loft for
a mixer shower which ceased up sometime ago and now the seals have
gone and it started to drip.

I went out and bought what I thought and advised was pretty much like
for like a Bristan varispeed water pump 50.

Wouldn't you need a "negative head" pump for installation in the loft?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply and I apologize for my lock of knowledge.
There was water flow with the old pump which must of still let water
through when it was off somehow when the new one does not. When I
turned the mains off and drained the cold tank there was flow until
the tank emptied.

What will connecting mains water do to the hot feed ? and do you mean
turn the mains back on which will cause the cold tank to fill and then
connect a mains supply to the shower head.

Again sorry if I am asking a stupid question but If either the hot
feed or cold feed has an air lock, wouldn't I get either just hot or
cold. ?

And should I worry about the warnings of installing it in the loft ?.

Thanks again
Spence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sbb" wrote in message

What will connecting mains water do to the hot feed ? and do you mean
turn the mains back on which will cause the cold tank to fill and then
connect a mains supply to the shower head.

Connecting mains to the pump output will blast air back into the cold water
tank, and the hot water tank, by setting the thermostaic valve to cold and
hot respectively. It'll also prime the pump if it's necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there not a spec with it for minimum head? Negative head pumps are
available for where needed.

*IMHO, there's only one make worth considering for a decent life - Stuart
Turner.

Hiya David, There spec says the shower head should be 230mm below the
water level in the cold water tank in the loft which it easily is, the
only diff is that in the diagrams, the pump is next to the hot water
tank and not in the loft and it does say it should be Ideally by the
tank

Sounds like the shop sold me the wrong one or should this still work
anyway

Thanks,
Spence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wouldn't you need a "negative head" pump for installation in the loft?

Hi Andy, Doesnt a "negative head" basically mean you have to manually
switch the pump in cases whrere there is not enough pressure for it to
happen automatically. My old showerforce one was not setup like this ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
sbb wrote:
Wouldn't you need a "negative head" pump for installation in the loft?

Hi Andy, Doesnt a "negative head" basically mean you have to manually
switch the pump in cases whrere there is not enough pressure for it to
happen automatically. My old showerforce one was not setup like this ?

IIRC, they are two pumps in one - a lift pump followed by a force pump.
Positive head ones are just force pumps.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:28:06 -0700 (PDT), sbb wrote:

The first one being that it says no to install in the loft due to the
fact it could freeze. Is this a real problem,

It could be if you loft is well insulated but really I see that
warning as arse covering. Remove the loft insulation under and
immediately adjacent to the pump and construct a box to fit over it
that you can insulate or make from insulation board of some sort. It
might be worth having some holes top and bottom of the box to allow
ventilation and heat from the pump out, try running it for 20 mins
with the cover on and see if it gets "too hot".

Also the pump does not work anyway, i.e no water at all and the pump
does not kick in. I have test the voltage and it looks ok.

Have you turned the water supplies back on? Does that model of pump
have built in flow switches? You may have an air lock does water flow
out of the shower head or appear at the mixer connections under
gravity.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:18:24 -0700 (PDT), sbb
wrote:

Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply and I apologize for my lock of knowledge.
There was water flow with the old pump which must of still let water
through when it was off somehow when the new one does not.

That sounds very much as if you have got the inlet and outlet pipe
connections the wrong way around. There is a one way valve in the
pump on both hot and cold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sbb wrote:
Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply and I apologize for my lock of knowledge.
There was water flow with the old pump which must of still let water
through when it was off somehow when the new one does not. When I
turned the mains off and drained the cold tank there was flow until
the tank emptied.

What will connecting mains water do to the hot feed ? and do you mean
turn the mains back on which will cause the cold tank to fill and then
connect a mains supply to the shower head.

Again sorry if I am asking a stupid question but If either the hot
feed or cold feed has an air lock, wouldn't I get either just hot or
cold. ?

And should I worry about the warnings of installing it in the loft ?.

Thanks again
Spence.

The loft warning is needed as loft insulation to modern (extreme?) specs
could well mean the pump will freeze up.
If you old one did not freeze and you have not added insulation to your
loft since, then it is unlikely that the new one will freeze.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all for you advice, someone who has fitted a few has also
advised me to suck on the shower head as the has had to do that many
times to get them working initially. If I can get it going, I will
make sure there is no insulation under the unit and try to construct
something around it also to protect it come winter.

Ironically the water pressure with the old pump broken was fine and I
was not sure weather to bypass the bump and just use flow under
gravity but tho id go this way just to have a more powerful shower.
Wish id gone the other way now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Got it working by taking the shower head off and sucking on it to
siphoning the water thru. Now just have to get over the paranoia of it
being in the loft

Thanks again all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 July, 15:00, sbb wrote:
Got it working by taking the shower head off and sucking on it to
siphoning the water thru. Now just have to get over the paranoia of it
being in the loft

Thanks again all.

That should do for now, but how difficult would it be to relocate it
to the airing cupboard?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, sbb writes
Got it working by taking the shower head off and sucking on it to
siphoning the water thru. Now just have to get over the paranoia of it
being in the loft

Thanks again all.

Why not remove any insulation from under the pump, build a box over it
and put loft insulation over the top of the box - the pump will then be
warmed from the ceiling below?
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail