Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waht's the best way to paint sharp edges?

To clarify, I'm talking about the edges of shelves,
here's the edge of a wooden shelf, with + representing paint
This is what I'd like to achieve:

++++++++++++++++++++
wood wood wood wood+
wood wood wood wood+
wood wood wood wood+
wood wood wood wood+
++++++++++++++++++++

But when I paint shelves, paint builds up on the corners marked "here"
and tends to chip off when the paint hardens.

+++ - here
+++++++++++++++++++++
wood wood wood wood+
wood wood wood wood+
wood wood wood wood+
wood wood wood wood+
i++++++++++++++++++++
+++ - here

I like shelf edges to look 'sharp'. Chamfering or rounding them would
stop the paint chipping so easily, but they wouldn't look so good.
Perhaps there's a tool that produces a very tiny chamfer? I should add
that I make shelves with wavy edges, so I can't just run a jack plane
along the edge. I usually make shelves of blockboard. I use a brush
and Dulux Satinwood paint. Naturally I rub each coat of paint down
with wet or dry paper, taking care to correct the build up on the edges
between each coat, but the last coat always has extra paint at the edge.
Commercial shelves, table tops, etc. often achieve this without chipping
badly, how can I do the same?

--
Jan
speaking virtually from

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jan Wysocki wrote:
To clarify, I'm talking about the edges of shelves,
here's the edge of a wooden shelf, with + representing paint
This is what I'd like to achieve:

Snipped

I like shelf edges to look 'sharp'. Chamfering or rounding them would
stop the paint chipping so easily, but they wouldn't look so good.
Perhaps there's a tool that produces a very tiny chamfer? I should
add that I make shelves with wavy edges, so I can't just run a jack
plane along the edge. I usually make shelves of blockboard. I use a
brush and Dulux Satinwood paint. Naturally I rub each coat of paint
down with wet or dry paper, taking care to correct the build up on
the edges between each coat, but the last coat always has extra paint
at the edge. Commercial shelves, table tops, etc. often achieve this
without chipping badly, how can I do the same?

Jan,

Simple really,

After you have finished painting the shelves (and long before they start to
dry), 'dry' the brush off by rubbing it against the top of the paint kettle
or tin, and then gently rub this 'dry' brush over the flat surfaces to
remove the excess paint.

This method is also used after painting vertical surfaces, such as doors, to
prevent excess paint forming the ubiquitous 'curtains' down the doors as its
drying. And that's one of the reasons why I *never* use non-drip or
one-coat paints - they tend to be put on thicker and 'run' as a result.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jul 2009 22:51:17 GMT, Jan Wysocki
wrote:

[...]

Will commercial stuff not be sprayed?

--
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jan Wysocki wrote:

I like shelf edges to look 'sharp'. Chamfering or rounding them would
stop the paint chipping so easily, but they wouldn't look so good.

The answer is that normally the edges would be slightly rounded. It does
not need to be much, just enough to allow the paint to be able to adhere
properly. Just run a hard edge down the aris of the shelf to flatten the
corner very slightly. You won't notice it from more than a couple of
inches away after it is painted.

--
Cheers,

John.