Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tracing Electrical Fault

My power went off tonight, quickly eliminated power cut and narrowed it down
to the RCCD tripping on the garage circuit that has outside pond pumps on it
which are usually favourite but with everything unplugged it still trips so
it must be the cable itself or a dodgey connection in a socket. I assume
this is going to be systematic checking of each socket in turn, right?

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message
My power went off tonight, quickly eliminated power cut and narrowed it
down to the RCCD tripping on the garage circuit that has outside pond
pumps on it which are usually favourite but with everything unplugged it
still trips so it must be the cable itself or a dodgey connection in a
socket. I assume this is going to be systematic checking of each socket in
turn, right?

Kevin

Isolate the incoming live, neutral and earth of the garage supply cable at
the point of entry to the garage. Depending upon your garage wiring setup
this could be at a garage CU, a socket or some other connection.

If the RCD still trips then the supply cable is faulty. If not then start
looking behind your garage sockets for damp connections and check any
exposed wiring for rodent damage(1) etc. The list of possible faults is very
wide.

Adam

(1) Rodents love to eat cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
My power went off tonight, quickly eliminated power cut and narrowed it down
to the RCCD tripping on the garage circuit that has outside pond pumps on it
which are usually favourite but with everything unplugged it still trips so
it must be the cable itself or a dodgey connection in a socket. I assume
this is going to be systematic checking of each socket in turn, right?

Some fault finding techniques he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Nuisance_trips

--
Cheers,

John.

Electrical fault baz UK diy 4 July 28th 06 08:49 PM
Electrical Fault [email protected] UK diy 31 April 21st 06 03:34 PM
Tracing short in electrical circuit dale martin Home Repair 7 March 3rd 06 03:35 AM
Electrical Fault Kev UK diy 6 December 12th 05 05:51 PM
Help with finding electrical fault? [email protected] Home Repair 17 February 22nd 05 01:58 AM