Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Tracing Electrical Fault

"Zen83237" wrote in message
My power went off tonight, quickly eliminated power cut and narrowed it
down to the RCCD tripping on the garage circuit that has outside pond
pumps on it which are usually favourite but with everything unplugged it
still trips so it must be the cable itself or a dodgey connection in a
socket. I assume this is going to be systematic checking of each socket in
turn, right?

Kevin

Isolate the incoming live, neutral and earth of the garage supply cable at
the point of entry to the garage. Depending upon your garage wiring setup
this could be at a garage CU, a socket or some other connection.

If the RCD still trips then the supply cable is faulty. If not then start
looking behind your garage sockets for damp connections and check any
exposed wiring for rodent damage(1) etc. The list of possible faults is very
wide.

Adam

(1) Rodents love to eat cable.