Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

Default Door Security Guard

I'm looking for one of these. Not a beefy guy with his arms crossed
but a metal latch thingy that is an alternative to a door security
chain.
They are called door security guards in the US - I used to have one on
my apartment door there & you tend to get them on hotel room doors. In
UK the preference seems to be for pathetic flimsy bath plug chains
that snap off on a slight breeze (well, that's what happened to
mine).
Here's a photo of what I mean http://images.orgill.com/200x200/1133412.jpg
My google searches have led nowhere - if only I knew what they were
called here. My neighbour has one that he insists he bought in B&Q
but I've never seen one there and the staff look at me blankly when I
ask. Which is pretty much how they always look anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:08:06 -0700, AA wrote:

I'm looking for one of these. Not a beefy guy with his arms crossed but a
metal latch thingy that is an alternative to a door security chain.
They are called door security guards in the US - I used to have one on my
apartment door there & you tend to get them on hotel room doors. In UK the
preference seems to be for pathetic flimsy bath plug chains that snap off
on a slight breeze (well, that's what happened to mine).
Here's a photo of what I mean http://images.orgill.com/200x200/1133412.jpg
My google searches have led nowhere - if only I knew what they were called
here. My neighbour has one that he insists he bought in B&Q but I've
never seen one there and the staff look at me blankly when I ask. Which
is pretty much how they always look anyway.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13303/...d-Brass-Plated

http://tinyurl.com/n2c9z9

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

If security + appearance are the criteria then I've had a Chubb door chain
with dead bolt in a previous house - very good but pricey.
http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/Chubb...ubb%20ws16.htm
PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I remember searching screwfix a while
back but didn't find it, strange because it does call it a door
guard! Cheap too. The Chubb chain looks good too - hmm, decision time.

Front door security David J UK diy 13 July 2nd 09 12:00 PM
OT - Guard Duck, Shop Security J T Woodworking 7 July 27th 07 10:27 PM
Garage Door Security DavidKendall UK diy 4 April 29th 06 12:07 AM
Security Door Trish Home Repair 1 July 16th 05 01:55 PM
security door install problem BillC Home Repair 3 June 8th 05 05:44 PM