Posted to uk.d-i-y
olo olo is offline

Default soundproofing home - interior doors

Hello,

I need advice on how to choose interior doors. Family is coming over
to live with us for the next couple of months and we really need to
soundproof our home.
At the moment we have cheap shed value interior doors that soundwise
are no better than fabric curtain.

I'm thinking that we need to replace them with solid wood ones. Any
thoughts or recommendations please ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
olo wrote:
I need advice on how to choose interior doors. Family is coming over
to live with us for the next couple of months and we really need to
soundproof our home.
At the moment we have cheap shed value interior doors that soundwise
are no better than fabric curtain.

I'm thinking that we need to replace them with solid wood ones. Any
thoughts or recommendations please ?

Like all sound proofing you need mass and a good air seal. Fire check
doors are probably the cheapest route. With the appropriate seals. But
ordinary internal walls don't provide good sound insulation either.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 14 July, 11:21, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *olo wrote:

I need advice on how to choose interior doors. Family is coming over
to live with us for the next couple of months and we really need to
soundproof our home.
At the moment we have cheap shed value interior doors that soundwise
are no better than fabric curtain.
I'm thinking that we need to replace them with solid wood ones. Any
thoughts or recommendations please ?

Like all sound proofing you need mass and a good air seal. Fire check
doors are probably the cheapest route. With the appropriate seals. But
ordinary internal walls don't provide good sound insulation either.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh. *

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I'd go with that: Someone I know has just had fire doors installed in
the bedrooms as part of a major job and says you can't hear a thing
through them...even to the point of being able to sneak up to the
kids' bedrooms and barge in to find out whether they're really doing
their homework!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

* *olo wrote:

[...]

Way too much effort, we just have a camera in there Actually our kids
are 5 and 3 and when we hear bumps upstairs while we're settled in front of
the tele, it's handy to just flick channels and make sure they're not
jumping off the bookcase or the roof of the Thomas bed again!

SteveW

New interior doors for $19 Phisherman[_2_] Home Repair 4 January 21st 09 12:14 AM
Interior Doors Jim[_8_] UK diy 5 October 18th 07 07:15 PM
Soundproofing a Home Theater Hayak Home Repair 1 March 5th 07 01:58 PM
Interior Pantry Doors ? Bob G. Woodworking 5 April 18th 05 01:11 AM
wood for interior doors Lividlev Woodworking 1 December 28th 04 01:03 AM