Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New interior doors for $19

I'm in need of a 30" interior door, to be used as a pocket door. Home
Depot is selling pre-primed doors (no predrilled holes) for $19. They
also sell doors for $34 and I can not find much difference. It is
important that the door remains perfectly flat over time, so I am
leaning toward composite construction doors. Any comments about the
$19 door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in need of a 30" interior door, to be used as a pocket door. Home
Depot is selling pre-primed doors (no predrilled holes) for $19. They
also sell doors for $34 and I can not find much difference. It is
important that the door remains perfectly flat over time, so I am
leaning toward composite construction doors. Any comments about the
$19 door?

You can rely on the salesbeing at Home Depot to tell you the
difference, or you can write down the part numbers and look them up on
the Internet.

Some of the cheap hollow-core doors have cardboard spacers inside. Less
cheap doors have MDF-type spacers. It's likely something like that.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 20, 10:04*am, Phisherman wrote:
I'm in need of a 30" interior door, to be used as a pocket door. *Home
Depot is selling pre-primed doors (no predrilled holes) for $19. *They
also sell doors for $34 and I can not find much difference. *It is
important that the door remains perfectly flat over time, so I am
leaning toward composite construction doors. *Any comments about the
$19 door?

W/ no more information than that, no, not really...

I'd compare the weight of the two. For the application, the composite
is _probably_ going to be more stable; vinyl/plastic even more so if
can stand the appearance.

A _very_ good solid wood door properly finished will also work but is
likely to be 10X the price, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 11:50*am, "SteveBell" wrote:
[...]

Last year, my friends had a house built that came stock with "6 panel
doors", white with a grainy texture.

The day they moved in they asked me to put a cat door in the door that
goes down to the basement. I asked them if they were sure they wanted
me to cut a whole in a door on their first day - what about the
warranty if I screwed it up?

They said they asked the builder about having a friend put the cat
door in vs. hiring one of his guys and he replied "Have your friend do
it. If he screws it up, I can replace the whole door for less than I
can have of my guys put the cat door in for you."

Once I started the job I knew what he meant. Not only were the spacers
cardboard, the whole door was cardboard! It was basically paper
pressed into a mold to give it the paneled, grainy look. I think the
"paneled" shape and copious use of spacers is what gave it it's
strength.

I don't know if it was a $19 door, but I don't think it was worth much
more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 3:35*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I put one of those el cheapos in and regret it. It's functional but
while installing, I hardly bumped it against a table and it punched a
hole in it.
Patched, looks OK but I would have bought better if I'd known how
chincy it was.

Interior doors and your AC unit. MikeMarr Home Ownership 2 July 1st 08 02:45 AM
Interior Doors Jim[_8_] UK diy 5 October 18th 07 07:15 PM
finishing interior doors [email protected] Woodworking 16 July 2nd 05 02:24 PM
wood for interior doors Lividlev Woodworking 1 December 28th 04 01:03 AM
Source for interior doors Al Reid Woodworking 0 August 20th 04 12:28 PM