Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stair Spindle Thickness

Hi Gents.
I want to replace my stair spindles and handrail some time soon.
The existing spindles are moulded pine...nothing out of the
ordinary. The spindles are 32m thick square at their widest
and in parts as the moulding is designed reduce to something like
20 - 22mm diameter.
So I can't see anything wrong with starting with 25mm (1") square oak
with the intention to leave the shape of the spindles square.. with
minimal
chamfering of the edges.

Is this ok? or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
Hi Gents.
I want to replace my stair spindles and handrail some time soon.
The existing spindles are moulded pine...nothing out of the
ordinary. The spindles are 32m thick square at their widest
and in parts as the moulding is designed reduce to something like
20 - 22mm diameter.
So I can't see anything wrong with starting with 25mm (1") square oak
with the intention to leave the shape of the spindles square.. with
minimal
chamfering of the edges.

Is this ok? or am I missing something?

Aren't you "missing" approx 7mm on the width then ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
Hi Gents.
I want to replace my stair spindles and handrail some time soon.
The existing spindles are moulded pine...nothing out of the
ordinary. The spindles are 32m thick square at their widest
and in parts as the moulding is designed reduce to something like
20 - 22mm diameter.
So I can't see anything wrong with starting with 25mm (1") square oak
with the intention to leave the shape of the spindles square.. with
minimal
chamfering of the edges.

Is this ok? or am I missing something?

You may wish to check that a 100mm diameter ball cannot pass between the
spindles, as that is a building regulations requirement.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
Hi Gents.
I want to replace my stair spindles and handrail some time soon.
The existing spindles are moulded pine...nothing out of the
ordinary. The spindles are 32m thick square at their widest
and in parts as the moulding is designed reduce to something like
20 - 22mm diameter.
So I can't see anything wrong with starting with 25mm (1") square oak
with the intention to leave the shape of the spindles square.. with
minimal
chamfering of the edges.

Is this ok? or am I missing something?

You may wish to check that a 100mm diameter ball cannot pass between the
spindles, as that is a building regulations requirement.

thanks. Thats useful info.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote

Hi Gents.
I want to replace my stair spindles and handrail some time soon.
The existing spindles are moulded pine...nothing out of the
ordinary. The spindles are 32m thick square at their widest
and in parts as the moulding is designed reduce to something like
20 - 22mm diameter.
So I can't see anything wrong with starting with 25mm (1") square oak
with the intention to leave the shape of the spindles square.. with
minimal
chamfering of the edges.

Is this ok? or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Arthur

I am just looking at a similar project.
B&Q sell Richard Burbidge light oak stuff which looks OK.
Check out the RB web site for more info.
Their spindles are 40 or 41mm square (can't remember which). We bought one
spindle just to "get a feel" of the look etc.

Phil