Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default laminate floor polish

When I had the job as site supervisor, at our local primary school, the
cleaners used to strip the polish from the vinyl floor covering and
apply another coat and it looked quite good. They did this once a year.
Does anyone know of a similar polish that can be applied to laminate?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
When I had the job as site supervisor, at our local primary school,
the cleaners used to strip the polish from the vinyl floor covering
and apply another coat and it looked quite good. They did this once a
year. Does anyone know of a similar polish that can be applied to
laminate?

The polish they used would prolly be a water based acrylic. This might stay
wet long enough to seep into the joints on the laminate, bear in mind its
obviously self leveling & contains a wetting agent.

Real problem though would be the polish stripper. These things are nasty!
Highly alkaline. What they would do to laminate doesn't bear thinking
about.

Personally I wouldn't try it on laminate - vinyl is much tougher though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
When I had the job as site supervisor, at our local primary school,
the cleaners used to strip the polish from the vinyl floor covering
and apply another coat and it looked quite good. They did this once a
year. Does anyone know of a similar polish that can be applied to
laminate?

The polish they used would prolly be a water based acrylic. This might stay
wet long enough to seep into the joints on the laminate, bear in mind its
obviously self leveling & contains a wetting agent.

Real problem though would be the polish stripper. These things are nasty!
Highly alkaline. What they would do to laminate doesn't bear thinking
about.

Personally I wouldn't try it on laminate - vinyl is much tougher though.

I doubt it is necessary to fully strip the floor that often in any
ordinary domestic environment. My experience was that floors even in
heavily trafficked corridors would be stripped after a refurb or a few
years.

In between it was commonly washed by mopping then spray polished. That
is, using a buffing machine with a suitable pad, spray diluted acrylic
polish and buff while still damp. This would clean the floor (the polish
plus dirt ended up as a sort of dry dark powder that needed to be
cleaned up afterwards), repair the surface of the polish and come to a
very good shine. However, it does need a floor buffing machine.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
When I had the job as site supervisor, at our local primary school,
the cleaners used to strip the polish from the vinyl floor covering
and apply another coat and it looked quite good. They did this once a
year. Does anyone know of a similar polish that can be applied to
laminate?

The polish they used would prolly be a water based acrylic. This
might stay wet long enough to seep into the joints on the laminate,
bear in mind its obviously self leveling & contains a wetting agent.

Real problem though would be the polish stripper. These things are
nasty! Highly alkaline. What they would do to laminate doesn't bear
thinking about.

Personally I wouldn't try it on laminate - vinyl is much tougher though.

I doubt it is necessary to fully strip the floor that often in any
ordinary domestic environment.

That was my logic.

My experience was that floors even in
heavily trafficked corridors would be stripped after a refurb or a few
years.

In between it was commonly washed by mopping then spray polished. That
is, using a buffing machine with a suitable pad, spray diluted acrylic
polish and buff while still damp. This would clean the floor (the polish
plus dirt ended up as a sort of dry dark powder that needed to be
cleaned up afterwards), repair the surface of the polish and come to a
very good shine. However, it does need a floor buffing machine.

Sorry, but I am posting back in reverse order. I hadn't realised that
there had been any replies to my question.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
When I had the job as site supervisor, at our local primary school,
the cleaners used to strip the polish from the vinyl floor covering
and apply another coat and it looked quite good. They did this once a
year. Does anyone know of a similar polish that can be applied to
laminate?

I am posting in reverse order with this...

The polish they used would prolly be a water based acrylic. This might stay
wet long enough to seep into the joints on the laminate, bear in mind its
obviously self leveling & contains a wetting agent.

I hadn't thought about that :-(
Whats the smybol for a dumbo, it could be well used on this ng :-)

Real problem though would be the polish stripper. These things are nasty!
Highly alkaline. What they would do to laminate doesn't bear thinking
about.

It was never my intention to strip it, just put a polish on it.

As an aside, a vinyl floor with stripper on is the slippiest floor I
have ever stood on. Far worse that the slippiest ice.

Personally I wouldn't try it on laminate - vinyl is much tougher though.

Noted.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

Agreed scrub/recoat is a better system.

In between it was commonly washed by mopping then spray polished. That
is, using a buffing machine with a suitable pad, spray diluted acrylic
polish and buff while still damp. This would clean the floor (the
polish plus dirt ended up as a sort of dry dark powder that needed to
be cleaned up afterwards), repair the surface of the polish and come
to a very good shine. However, it does need a floor buffing machine.

The 'spray cleaning' myth huh? :-)

File under Santa, Tooth Fairy etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

It would eventually wear & need repair though.

As an aside, a vinyl floor with stripper on is the slippiest floor I
have ever stood on. Far worse that the slippiest ice.

Oh yes! BTDTGTTS many times.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk