Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default laminate floor polish

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
When I had the job as site supervisor, at our local primary school,
the cleaners used to strip the polish from the vinyl floor covering
and apply another coat and it looked quite good. They did this once a
year. Does anyone know of a similar polish that can be applied to
laminate?

The polish they used would prolly be a water based acrylic. This
might stay wet long enough to seep into the joints on the laminate,
bear in mind its obviously self leveling & contains a wetting agent.

Real problem though would be the polish stripper. These things are
nasty! Highly alkaline. What they would do to laminate doesn't bear
thinking about.

Personally I wouldn't try it on laminate - vinyl is much tougher though.

I doubt it is necessary to fully strip the floor that often in any
ordinary domestic environment.

That was my logic.

My experience was that floors even in
heavily trafficked corridors would be stripped after a refurb or a few
years.

In between it was commonly washed by mopping then spray polished. That
is, using a buffing machine with a suitable pad, spray diluted acrylic
polish and buff while still damp. This would clean the floor (the polish
plus dirt ended up as a sort of dry dark powder that needed to be
cleaned up afterwards), repair the surface of the polish and come to a
very good shine. However, it does need a floor buffing machine.

Sorry, but I am posting back in reverse order. I hadn't realised that
there had been any replies to my question.

Dave