Senior Member

Default Protecting chrome finishes in marine environment

Many of the taps and mixers in the bathrooms and showers of my new house in Spain, 100 meters from the sea are showing some signs of sea corrosion, where the chrome finishings start to show green spots of rust.

At the moment, the problem is small but I want to stop it as much as possible.

I heard from some local that vaseline is a good way to do it.

Is that the best way?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"asalcedo" wrote in message

Many of the taps and mixers in the bathrooms and showers of my new house
in Spain, 100 meters from the sea are showing some signs of sea
corrosion, where the chrome finishings start to show green spots of
rust.

At the moment, the problem is small but I want to stop it as much as
possible.

I heard from some local that vaseline is a good way to do it.

Is that the best way?

Thoroughly clean with a non-abrasive cleaner and car wax the chrome

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 29, 6:26*am, "R" wrote:
"asalcedo" wrote in message

Many of the taps and mixers in the bathrooms and showers of my new house
in Spain, 100 meters from the sea are showing some signs of sea
corrosion, where the chrome finishings start to show green spots of
rust.

At the moment, the problem is small but I want to stop it as much as
possible.

I heard from some local that vaseline is a good way to do it.

Is that the best way?

Thoroughly clean with a non-abrasive cleaner and car wax the chrome

Gentle use of a copper scourer should minimise the corrosion spots,
but do go easy with it. Chrome is a very thin layer and you dont want
the scourer ripping any pieces off.

NT