Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Paint for shed?

Hi
Our shed (which i think is made of concrete) is painted white and has a
black border at the bottom.

Anyone know the best type of paint to use to re-paint? The paint is matt in
finish rather than glossy and I want to match it exactlt

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
Hi
Our shed (which i think is made of concrete) is painted white and has
a black border at the bottom.

Anyone know the best type of paint to use to re-paint? The paint is
matt in finish rather than glossy and I want to match it exactlt

Cheers

Personally I would use Sandtex
(http://www.sandtex.co.uk/planning/masonry.html) applied as the
manufacturers specification.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
mo wrote:
Hi
Our shed (which i think is made of concrete) is painted white and has
a black border at the bottom.

Anyone know the best type of paint to use to re-paint? The paint is
matt in finish rather than glossy and I want to match it exactlt

Cheers

Personally I would use Sandtex
(http://www.sandtex.co.uk/planning/masonry.html) applied as the
manufacturers specification.

Cash

My decorator said 'no, it doesnt last, use Dulux exterior' and we did,
and it has.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cash wrote:
mo wrote:
Hi
Our shed (which i think is made of concrete) is painted white and
has a black border at the bottom.

Anyone know the best type of paint to use to re-paint? The paint is
matt in finish rather than glossy and I want to match it exactlt

Cheers

Personally I would use Sandtex
(http://www.sandtex.co.uk/planning/masonry.html) applied as the
manufacturers specification.

Cash

My decorator said 'no, it doesnt last, use Dulux exterior' and we did,
and it has.

The Natural Philosopher,

And what is the reason (or reasons) why your "decorator says no" to the use
of Sandtex?

it is my experience that *IF* applied as per manufacturers instructions,
Sandtex will certainly last a five-year repaint cycle (which is the norm[and
sometimes far longer]).

Admittedly the preparation can be a bitch and rather time consuming,
especially if there are cracks and fungus on the walls, but as 'preparation'
really is the key to a good finish and longevity on any paint work (and
anything else) - then that time must be taken.

So presuming that he uses (or has used) Sandtex does/did your decorator
actually take the time to carry out the correct preparation?

And if he did - and had bad results with it - what were the conclusions of
the technical report that he would have received after he complained to his
suppliers or manufacturer about those results?

BTW, I am simply interested in his reasons (rather than promoting the stuff)
as his statement is completely at odds with my own experience of Sandtex
products over many years - and on a large number of dwellings.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
mo wrote:
[...]

Indeed. He used to do exteriors for the council. The dulux lasted ten..

Admittedly the preparation can be a bitch and rather time consuming,
especially if there are cracks and fungus on the walls, but as 'preparation'
really is the key to a good finish and longevity on any paint work (and
anything else) - then that time must be taken.

So presuming that he uses (or has used) Sandtex does/did your decorator
actually take the time to carry out the correct preparation?

Straight onto raw render. No prep. The dulux anyway.

And if he did - and had bad results with it - what were the conclusions of
the technical report that he would have received after he complained to his
suppliers or manufacturer about those results?

BTW, I am simply interested in his reasons (rather than promoting the stuff)
as his statement is completely at odds with my own experience of Sandtex
products over many years - and on a large number of dwellings.

He simply said it outlasted sandtex.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
mo wrote:
[...]

Doesn't really answer my question, but thanks anyway.

Cash

Protect underside of wooden shed roof with fence paint? Jon UK diy 0 August 16th 07 09:23 AM
Paint in shed Chris Home Repair 13 February 8th 07 07:50 PM
Recoating shed roof with bitumen paint? Adam Funk UK diy 10 December 20th 06 03:16 PM
Storing paint in the shed EricP UK diy 1 October 31st 05 10:03 AM
Paint Needed for Shed Support? [email protected] UK diy 4 August 24th 05 12:29 AM