Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default polytank - what's the vent pipe for?

I have bought a polytank
http://www.polytank.co.uk/assets/pdf...nk_fitting.pdf
and am about to drill holes, but dont understand why it needs 2 holes at
the top..

1) inlet hole top left OK
2) outlet hole bottom right OK
3) Warning pipe top right - I guess this is the overflow and should be
piped to outdoors
4) screwed breather top right - for air to equalise pressures in and out
as the top is tight?
5) Vent pipe sleeve top left - Why? what's the point of this?
There is an overflow pipe on the right?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
I have bought a polytank
http://www.polytank.co.uk/assets/pdf...nk_fitting.pdf
and am about to drill holes, but dont understand why it needs 2 holes
at the top..

1) inlet hole top left OK
2) outlet hole bottom right OK
3) Warning pipe top right - I guess this is the overflow and should be
piped to outdoors
4) screwed breather top right - for air to equalise pressures in and
out as the top is tight?
5) Vent pipe sleeve top left - Why? what's the point of this?
There is an overflow pipe on the right?

[g]

I expect it is meant for the vent pipe from your indirect hot water
cylinder, as it is described as a sleeve?

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
I have bought a polytank
http://www.polytank.co.uk/assets/pdf...nk_fitting.pdf
and am about to drill holes, but dont understand why it needs 2 holes
at the top..

1) inlet hole top left OK
2) outlet hole bottom right OK
3) Warning pipe top right - I guess this is the overflow and should be
piped to outdoors
4) screwed breather top right - for air to equalise pressures in and
out as the top is tight?
5) Vent pipe sleeve top left - Why? what's the point of this?
There is an overflow pipe on the right?

[g]

I expect it is meant for the vent pipe from your indirect hot water
cylinder, as it is described as a sleeve?

Toby...

aha - that's where overflow from the hot water
goes back into the cold tank is it?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Toby wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
[...]

that's the one!

Looking at the pictures below, pucture number 18 does support this theory!

I assume the breather one has a mesh or somthign to stop anything but air
getting in or out?

if so, this sleeve will then seal around the expantion pipe, so there isnt a
hole around it to let dirt in to the tank..

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
I have bought a polytank
http://www.polytank.co.uk/assets/pdf...nk_fitting.pdf
and am about to drill holes, but dont understand why it needs 2 holes at
the top..

1) inlet hole top left OK
2) outlet hole bottom right OK
3) Warning pipe top right - I guess this is the overflow and should be
piped to outdoors

It is a warning pipe, which means it needs to be run to somewhere that you
can see water coming out of it if the cistern overflows. On domestic size
cisterns, the warning pipe usually also doubles as the overflow. On anything
above 1000 litres, the overflow will be a separate pipe and may be run
straight to a drain. The warning pipe / overflow should have a fine mesh
insect screen fitted, which is at least 2.5 times the area of the pipe.

4) screwed breather top right - for air to equalise pressures in and out
as the top is tight?

This should also be fitted with a fine mesh insect screen, with an area of
not less than 2.5 times that of the hole.

5) Vent pipe sleeve top left - Why? what's the point of this?

It takes the the expansion pipe from a hot water cylinder. There should be a
close-fitting sleeve, again to stop the ingress of insects.

Colin bignell

There is an overflow pipe on the right?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 5:35*pm, "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:
Toby wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
I have bought a polytank
http://www.polytank.co.uk/assets/pdf...nk_fitting.pdf
and am about to drill holes, but dont understand why it needs 2 holes
at the top..

1) inlet hole top left OK
2) outlet hole bottom right OK
3) Warning pipe top right - I guess this is the overflow and should be
piped to outdoors
4) screwed breather top right - for air to equalise pressures in and
out as the top is tight?
5) Vent pipe sleeve top left - Why? what's the point of this?
* * There is an overflow pipe on the right?

[g]

I expect it is meant for the vent pipe from your indirect hot water
cylinder, as it is described as a sleeve?

Toby...

aha - that's where overflow from the hot water
goes back into the cold tank is it?

Not if this is your cold water cistern.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Toby wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
[...]

it is for cold only
so i wont drill a hole or fit the vent pipe 5.

thanks

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Toby wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
[...]

Where would you put the vent pipe from an indirect hot wather cylinder then?

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Toby wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
[...]

Ah. I was thinking central heating vent pipe.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default polytank - inlet and outlet on same side?

I have bought a polytank
http://www.polytank.co.uk/assets/pdf...nk_fitting.pdf
and am about to drill holes.

The instructions (7) say to drill the inlet and outlet at opposite sides
of the tank to create a circulatory flow of water,
but it would be much simpler to put them both at the same side,
this would mean less joints and curves in the blue plastic pipe.

What shall I do?
opposite holes and a bent pipe, or 2 right angle joints,
or holes at the same side?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:49:38 +0100, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

I have bought a polytank
http://www.polytank.co.uk/assets/pdf...nk_fitting.pdf and am about
to drill holes.

The instructions (7) say to drill the inlet and outlet at opposite sides
of the tank to create a circulatory flow of water, but it would be much
simpler to put them both at the same side, this would mean less joints
and curves in the blue plastic pipe.

What shall I do?
opposite holes and a bent pipe, or 2 right angle joints, or holes at the
same side?

[g]

You could do them both at the same side but extend the actual outlet to
the far side internally with a bit of pipe? It wouldn't need to seal well
since it's inside the tank, it just has to grab the majority of the
incoming water from the far side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:49:38 +0100 someone who may be "george
(dicegeorge)" wrote this:-

The instructions (7) say to drill the inlet and outlet at opposite sides
of the tank

As do the regulations. This is to avoid dead areas of water in the
tank, where legionella and other little nasties may rapidly multiply
to dangerous concentrations.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:
[...]

I cant imagine how to do this-
if I stuck a pipe inside the outlet to extend it
wouldnt it cut down the flow significantly?

presumably the circulation is wanted
so the water doesnt get stale..
it's used for brushing teeth...

sunny day so i've been up ladders repairing rotten windows,
still havnt drilled holes in the tank yet,
thinking about it in 'background mode'...

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(dicegeorge)" wrote this:-

The instructions (7) say to drill the inlet and outlet at opposite sides
of the tank

As do the regulations. This is to avoid dead areas of water in the
tank, where legionella and other little nasties may rapidly multiply
to dangerous concentrations.

If there are regulations i'd better follow them.

(I didnt find anything about cold water plastic pipe systems or
regulations at
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....egory:Plumbing
)

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:41:42 +0100, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

PCPaul wrote:

You could do them both at the same side but extend the actual outlet to
the far side internally with a bit of pipe? It wouldn't need to seal
well since it's inside the tank, it just has to grab the majority of
the incoming water from the far side.

I cant imagine how to do this-
if I stuck a pipe inside the outlet to extend it wouldnt it cut down the
flow significantly?

Some, yes. You didn't really say what the tank was for - is it the loft
header tank for your domestic cold water?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:

You could do them both at the same side but extend the actual outlet to
the far side internally with a bit of pipe? It wouldn't need to seal
well since it's inside the tank, it just has to grab the majority of
the incoming water from the far side.

I cant imagine how to do this-
if I stuck a pipe inside the outlet to extend it wouldnt it cut down the
flow significantly?

Some, yes. You didn't really say what the tank was for - is it the loft
header tank for your domestic cold water?

tomorrow it will be for 3 toilets, 4 sinks and a bath
but one day I may use it to feed other circuits
so as someone's made me paranoid about legionnaire's and regulations
I'll put the holes as they say in the instructions
and bend the outlet pipe (as it has less pressure)

thanks

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "george (dicegeorge)"
saying something like:

I cant imagine how to do this-
if I stuck a pipe inside the outlet to extend it
wouldnt it cut down the flow significantly?

Go up a fitting size for the outlet flange, so it will take a pipe being
inserted in the tank side, and reduce it back to your normal size on the
external side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:

You could do them both at the same side but extend the actual outlet
to the far side internally with a bit of pipe? It wouldn't need to
seal well since it's inside the tank, it just has to grab the
majority of the incoming water from the far side.
I cant imagine how to do this-
if I stuck a pipe inside the outlet to extend it wouldnt it cut down
the flow significantly?

Some, yes. You didn't really say what the tank was for - is it the loft
header tank for your domestic cold water?

tomorrow it will be for 3 toilets, 4 sinks and a bath but one day I may
use it to feed other circuits so as someone's made me paranoid about
legionnaire's and regulations I'll put the holes as they say in the
instructions and bend the outlet pipe (as it has less pressure)

You definitely do need to keep the flow up for a bath filler...

Try and avoid right angle bends, use formed bends or gentle curves in
polypipe. You lose a *lot* of flow at a right angled bend. (Says he who
just replumbed the hot feed in formed 22mm all the way from the cylinder
up to the loft and across to the shower just to get enough flow... )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:
[...]

will it be totally within regualtions if i fit an internal pipe like you
suggest?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:54:28 +0100, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

will it be totally within regualtions if i fit an internal pipe like you
suggest?

TBH I don't know the regulations well enough - you'll have to wait and
see who else answers.

I believe regulations in each area are down to the local Water Board, but
there is an overall body called the Water Regulations Advisory Service
that aims to keep them consistent.

They say this on their website:

=========
Further information on any topic may be obtained from the Water
Regulations Advisory Scheme, Fern Close, Pen-y-Fan Industrial Estate,
Oakdale, Gwent NP11 3EH. Telephone, 01495 248454. Fax 01495 249234. E-
mail:
=========

So you could always drop them a line?

CH vent pipe Stephen[_2_] UK diy 5 November 3rd 08 10:31 PM
vent pipe franz frippl Home Repair 5 August 14th 07 10:59 PM
Vent pipe in the way. Kevin Ricks Home Repair 2 March 13th 05 12:17 AM
Why is a vent pipe necessary? Richard Tobin UK diy 23 February 5th 05 12:41 AM
Vent Pipe Question x071907 Woodworking 8 November 9th 04 01:41 PM