Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petrol Mower Suffolk Punch Model 30 12" Engine Assy A98

Greetings
The above mower bought in 1981 is putting burnt oil smoke out of the exhaust
box. Suggests needs new set of piston rings.
Any one any experience of re ringing this engine and ideas of possible
snags. Can I expect the bore to be standard size. Snags on fitting new rings
and where to get them.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated
regards
Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert Hill wrote:
Greetings
The above mower bought in 1981 is putting burnt oil smoke out of the exhaust
box. Suggests needs new set of piston rings.
Any one any experience of re ringing this engine and ideas of possible
snags. Can I expect the bore to be standard size. Snags on fitting new rings
and where to get them.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated
regards
Bob

Blimey. Blast from the past that one.

Not much help, is that the sidevalve 4 stroke?

Might be valve stems/guide wear as well...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:53:05 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Robert Hill wrote:
Greetings
The above mower bought in 1981 is putting burnt oil smoke out of the exhaust
box. Suggests needs new set of piston rings.
Any one any experience of re ringing this engine and ideas of possible
snags. Can I expect the bore to be standard size. Snags on fitting new rings
and where to get them.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated
regards
Bob

Blimey. Blast from the past that one.

Not much help, is that the sidevalve 4 stroke?

Might be valve stems/guide wear as well...

Or even just a build-up of crap in the head which is stopping the valves
from operating properly. The B+S engine in our mower has a surprisingly
small service interval between pulling the head and de-crudding it (5
years I think, without checking - so if it's never been done it's probably
long overdue on a 28 year old engine)

Pulling the head's probably a good idea anyway just to check for bore
wear, damaged piston etc. (although I suspect the OP's likely done that
already if they're the sort that's up for fitting new piston rings :-)

Heck, if it derives timing from the flywheel then it might even be a
sheared flywheel key and the timing's just completely off.

cheers

Jules

Qualcast Suffolk Punch 35s - ignition spark problem [email protected] UK diy 50 August 22nd 17 07:29 PM
Petrol additive for an old engine robgraham UK diy 18 March 18th 07 08:21 PM
Petrol Mower Advice John UK diy 16 May 24th 06 04:10 PM
Petrol in Diesel Engine MartinC UK diy 120 September 5th 05 10:41 PM