Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiring question

Is there any reason why the cooker hood power (extractor and light)
cannot run off the same circuit as the cooker itself?

I would put in a separate isolation switch for the hood rather than just
having one for both.

I am using 6mm T&E for the cooker supply.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:50:13 +0100 someone who may be Martin Carroll
wrote this:-

Is there any reason why the cooker hood power (extractor and light)
cannot run off the same circuit as the cooker itself?

I would put in a separate isolation switch for the hood rather than just
having one for both.

You also need a fuse. The cooker circuit will probably be fused at
30/32 or perhaps 45A, the instructions for the hood will almost
certainly say that it must be fused at 3/5/6A.

In order to allow enough space for wiring I would fit an oblong
cooker switch http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK5205.html
with a switched fused connection unit above or below
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1040.html. It is possible
to try and squeeze into a smaller space, but I think this a false
economy.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh