Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hair dye on the plastic window sill

Help my window sill (installed with upvc windows) is splattered with
hair dye. I've tried everything to remove it. Or should I try to
paint over it, if so with what?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sofadog wrote:
Help my window sill (installed with upvc windows) is splattered with
hair dye. I've tried everything to remove it. Or should I try to
paint over it, if so with what?

It's certainly possible if you buy special primers & paints etc, but upvc
doesn't really like to be painted and the surface may not be that durable.

Perhaps worth considering replacing the sill, or fitting a new upvc fascia
board on top of it. Something like this :

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sofadog writes:
Help my window sill (installed with upvc windows) is splattered with
hair dye. I've tried everything to remove it. Or should I try to
paint over it, if so with what?

PVC paints well with oil based gloss paint. You use top-coat only,
directly onto the PVC. The solvent in the paint actually dissolves
into the PVC surface, so the paint forms a permanent bond with the
PVC.

If the hair dye contains a solvent, it may be that this has carried
the dye into the PVC surface, which may be why you can't get it off.
Don't know much about hair dye, as would be obvious from my gray hair;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 2:27*am, David J wrote:
On 21 Jun 2009 23:01:38 GMT, (Andrew

Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* *sofadog writes:
Help my window sill (installed with upvc windows) is splattered with
hair dye. *I've tried everything to remove it. Or should I try to
paint over it, if so with what?

PVC paints well with oil based gloss paint. You use top-coat only,
directly onto the PVC. The solvent in the paint actually dissolves
into the PVC surface, so the paint forms a permanent bond with the
PVC.

If the hair dye contains a solvent, it may be that this has carried
the dye into the PVC surface, which may be why you can't get it off.
Don't know much about hair dye, as would be obvious from my gray hair;-)

What have you tried?

I had a problem with 'wiping' a conservatory PVC window ledge and
finding red spiders squashed bodies had left red maks everwhere, which
were very hard to shift.

In the end dilute bleach did the job.

DJ

thanks everyone for suggestions. I have tried bleach, jif, cillit
bang, nothing works. I think I may give gloss paint a go, but
Homebase have told me there is a UPVC paint, however they no longer
stock it. So, I'm on the hunt for UPVC paint...........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sofadog writes:
thanks everyone for suggestions. I have tried bleach, jif, cillit
bang, nothing works. I think I may give gloss paint a go, but
Homebase have told me there is a UPVC paint, however they no longer
stock it. So, I'm on the hunt for UPVC paint...........

Another thought - there is a PVC cleaner which window fitters
use to clean off any dirty marks they make. It will be available
from PVC stockists (usually found on a local industrial estate).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
sofadog writes:
thanks everyone for suggestions. I have tried bleach, jif, cillit
bang, nothing works. I think I may give gloss paint a go, but
Homebase have told me there is a UPVC paint, however they no longer
stock it. So, I'm on the hunt for UPVC paint...........

Another thought - there is a PVC cleaner which window fitters
use to clean off any dirty marks they make. It will be available
from PVC stockists (usually found on a local industrial estate).

If it is only on the surface then you could try sanding it down. I've
seen it done using progressively finer grades of wet-and-dry.

Andrew

Painting a window sill Dave UK diy 34 September 23rd 08 06:22 PM
How to fill gap under window-sill? Timothy Murphy UK diy 2 November 11th 07 12:31 PM
Repairing a window sill Dave UK diy 1 June 15th 07 02:24 AM
Extending window sill Wayne Whitney Home Repair 2 March 25th 07 11:00 PM
Brick window sill [email protected] UK diy 1 June 7th 06 01:18 PM