Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's this fence been painted with?

Can anyone identify the finish that's been used on this fence?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/mkpb/fence.jpg

The pic on the left shows that some of it's developed a sort of
stringy texture that comes off like dried glue, but in other areas it
doesn't seem like it'll come off easily at all.

If I paint over it with some sort of shed and fence treatment, is it
likely to take?

Thanks for any advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

mike wrote:
Can anyone identify the finish that's been used on this fence?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/mkpb/fence.jpg

The pic on the left shows that some of it's developed a sort of
stringy texture that comes off like dried glue, but in other areas it
doesn't seem like it'll come off easily at all.

If I paint over it with some sort of shed and fence treatment, is it
likely to take?

Thanks for any advice.

Looks like common-or-garden modern fence finish - Cuprinol fence paint
or similar. When applied to smooth surfaces (e.g. planed timber) it does
tend to come off as you describe. On a good rough surface (old-fashioned
sawn timber) it adheres quite well.

Over-painting with similar products, even if you prepare very well, is
likely to have the same end result.

If you can put the effort in (and the scale is small enough), maybe
something like this:

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/product-range/product.aspx?product=Quick_Dry_Opaque_Wood_Finish

Or various other manufacturers' offerings.

(I *do* work for a company in the same group as Johnstones but nothing
to do with paint.)

--
Rod

onset.